I’m in MN which/ how many carriers do I partner with?

Agent 0

Expert
I just started in the Medicare field and am a recent (under 2 years ago) newcomer to insurance (started in P&C) in general. I’m done with AHIP went with an FMO and now I’m deciding who to contract with. I already have the process going with BCBS and Healthpartners and completed the video for UCare. Should I partner with others? Should I get a carrier that has good PDP’s? Would SilverScript be a good option? What other carrier(s) do you recommend?

I’m stationed south of the twin cities and really want to be able to find my clients the best most suitable plan for them. My “manager” (not sure what the right word is) at my FMO told me that it would be too much to learn if I went with more than 4ish carriers. I see her point but I’m not sure it’s a huge deal if I don’t know everything about each plan when I can just go and look at the contract or ask someone else? Isn’t it better to at least offer the plan?

I think it is better to partner with as many good carriers as I can but since she clearly has seniority in the field I thought I’d ask you guys. Thanks!

For PDP, you definitely want Aetna (SS), WellCare, humana, and Cigna. It’s the same contract as the MAPD so it’s a no brainer.

For PDP, you definitely want Aetna (SS), WellCare, humana, and Cigna. It’s the same contract as the MAPD so it’s a no brainer.
This may be a dumb question but is there a different contract for their Supps?

You will want to have Medica.. Health Partners and a few other local companies... If you're marketing the southeast quadrant you'll want to also add Quartz

This may be a dumb question but is there a different contract for their Supps?
With most the answer is yes. A contract for MS and another for MA. Some have different agent portals.

As far as carriers, get the big ones and some of your regional ones.

If you have access to CSG Actuarial, run a quote and note a few lower priced ones. And vet them. How long in the biz, rate increase history, etc.

Last edited:
With most the answer is yes. A contract for MS and another for MA. Some have different agent portals.

As far as carriers, get the big ones and some of your regional ones.

If you have access to CSG Actuarial, run a quote and note a few lower priced ones. And vet them. How long in the buz, rate increase history, etc.
Humana covers both with one contract.

Back