I'm Going to Try Cold Calling Today, is This a Decent Setup?

Torture. Absolute torture :D

Never again. Got 2 leads and will hopefully convert to sales but that wasn't fun at all. I suppose after time I could get used to it, and I suppose if I do make 2 sales then I will be happy to have made those sales just from 3 hours of phone dialing.

Hmm...on the fence I guess :goofy:

Never again. Got 2 leads and will hopefully convert to sales but that wasn't fun at all. I suppose after time I could get used to it, and I suppose if I do make 2 sales then I will be happy to have made those sales just from 3 hours of phone dialing.

OK.. No door knocking.. no cold telephone calling.. What next? You will have to come up with some way to get in front of prospects that you do not consider torture if you hope to survive in the business.

I've been trying to get more exercise lately (very low bar set there) and picked up a nice bike (trek 7.2). Sunday I want for a 19 mile ride and I try to do a 12-15 mile ride at least a few times a week. Sometimes I'm really slow going up a hill, but I insist on telling myself that if I just keep going, at whatever speed, I'll get what I want (in this case, being less fat). Although with cold calling it's not guaranteed that you'll make sales if you make enough phone calls, if you can stick with it and keep making the calls, odds are you'll continue to generate leads (props on getting 2 good leads in 3 hours!) It takes a while to "get in shape" with cold calling and it's almost never fun, but it does get easier.

Good luck on your next round of calls and working those leads!

OK.. No door knocking.. no cold telephone calling.. What next? You will have to come up with some way to get in front of prospects that you do not consider torture if you hope to survive in the business.

Me realizing and accepting (reluctantly) cold calling and door knocking is a part of this business and to man up. Definetly seeing the value of quality purchased leads right now too!

Rookie learning, nothing to see here ;)

I've spent 1,000s on internet leads over the years. Definitely paid off. Its not for everyone and I can't say how the FE leads are. I can say that in my opinion people are sick of being tricked in to thinking they are going to see rates pop up online----so they go to another site, enter in info. What should have been an exclusive lead has now been shared with who knows how many agents. You now have a very mad consumer who is being bombarded with calls.
You have an upset agent who spent between 10-20 bucks for an exclusive lead which is not exclusive.

Cold calling---you need to give it a good 4-6 weeks to "fill the pipeline" so to say. Go through the list 5-6 times before making any sort of conclusion as to effectiveness of lead.

I bought a list, I've made a good number of sales, although not all have submitted the applications. Even if only half submit, I'm still out ahead on what I've spent. The "leads" I get from calling, even if they don't buy right now, are exclusive to me as I'm the one generating them.

I don't take the rejection personally. Yes, its no fun speaking with grumpy people, but I look at it as an opportunity to "clean up my list" so next time I call, I don't have to waste my time calling them.

Me realizing and accepting (reluctantly) cold calling and door knocking is a part of this business and to man up. Definetly seeing the value of quality purchased leads right now too!

Rookie learning, nothing to see here ;)

I have started training with an FMO this week. They supply pre set appointments and give us lead cards from people who gave wrong or no phone numbers, all for free. We do get reduced commissions but I have tried buying leads, cold calling and It just wasn't for me. If this doesn't work time for a new profession.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah it only took a few days for me to see cold calling isn't for me either. Just ordered my first batch of leads and looking forward to working them next week. If these "exclusive" leads yield zero interest from prospects then I too might be done with this gig. I tried the pre approach letter method and cold door knocking too. I admit my version of "try" is 2 days of something and getting discouraged pretty quickly if I yield zero results, but that's just how it goes.

Lot of respect for the guys around here that are making it in this business because I certainly do recognize how challenging it is. I feel like 1 or 2 sales would really do wonders for my motivation at this point and make me really hungry for the next sale. So I am crossing my fingers that at least 1 out of the leads I ordered will convert to a sale.

Only thing I have left to try after this is Medicare Advantage with Humana. Got a chance to sit in front of a Walmart or Walgreens during the AEP.

If THAT doesn't work than I will go back to working and replenishing funds and possibly come back to this at a later date with more reserve cash in the bank and give it a better try. I'm going to work those "exclusive" leads till each person either says yes or no. If they are all no's then I guess that's that.

"Nothing the the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
--Calvin Coolidge

Doesn't mean cold calling doesn't suck. I hate it. But I hate not feeding my family and not playing golf every now and then more...

So true...and I may fall into the "educated derelict" category.

Many others have proven cold calling works and I need to work at it harder. I may not be the King of excuses not to cold call, but I'm at least in the royal family. Prince or Duke maybe?

At this point, I have more time than money. Until I get a decent book built, cold calling a targeted list is the most cost efficient way for me to go.

Back