I'm Going to Try Cold Calling Today, is This a Decent Setup?

So cold door knocking didn't go too well for me. Wasn't a complete failure but after trying it I can definetly say I'd at least like a set appointment before knocking on someone's door ever again. Well I take that back. While I'm in the neighborhood after a bonafide appointment I wouldn't mind so much knocking on doors, but ONLY because I'm in that neighborhood because I truly did have an appointment.

I did phone sales for like 4 years back in the day so my phone voice is fine. I'm thinking for just trying it out I'll do the 15 hours with 2 or 3 lines out at salesdiales.com for $30. Not a huge investment.

15 hours is about 3 days worth of cold calling I'd guess. Can't see myself cold calling more than 5 hours a day :no:

If I see results I'll pay for the unlimited monthly deal. From what I can tell I just upload my csv file and salesdialers.com will then dial up to 3 lines at a time and connect me instantly when someone picks up.

Unless you guys say otherwise for reasons I'm not thinking of I'll go ahead and sign up.

(Brownie points and much appreciation to anyone that posts their favorite FE cold calling script) :yes:

I don't think you should call 5 hours a day. 2 hours twice a day. It's manageable. But you have to show up and be consistent.

People who call frantically one day and then miss the next four are never going to get anywhere. It takes effort to build inertia.

Oh, about cold walking.

I think people forget this stuff is a SKILL. Like learning how to swim. Or become a chef. Or fence. You ain't gonna get it in one afternoon.

I love this article...I can't link to it yet but Inc. Magazine is probably wondering who makes the hits jump every few months.

Just google "48 hours with the king of cold calls".

You'll see what I mean.

So far with the new company 3 days in the field and 2 sales, feels pretty good. I get 4 to 6 pre set appointments and a couple of cards sent in with no phone numbers, so far I have made 1 appointment from those, and I have 2 follow up appointments to write them up, from the presentations I did.

I've had a couple of PM's but I can't respond, The agency I work for is in the midwest.

"Telephone Consumer Protection Act of 1991 and recent rules are that you can only make telemarketing calls between 8AM and 9PM in the time zone you are calling."

I found this quote on the forum somewhere. Do these hours apply to sat and sunday as well?

Do you guys have better luck reaching people during dinner time (5-8) or mid afternoon? Also, how do you deal with someone saying your calling me during my dinner!! or Im eating with my family, etc.?

Any advice appreciated. This forum has been very helpful.

Last edited:
SomeDude99 said:
"Telephone Consumer Protection Act of 1991 and recent rules are that you can only make telemarketing calls between 8AM and 9PM in the time zone you are calling."

I found this quote on the forum somewhere. Is this still true in reference to the hours? Do these hours apply to sat and sunday as well?

Do you guys have better luck reaching people during dinner time (5-8) or mid afternoon? Also, how do you deal with someone saying your calling me during my dinner!! or Im eating with my family, etc.?

Any advice appreciated. This forum has been very helpful.

Please tell me you are screening for people on the do not call list as violations can be 11k per pop.

Nowayguy- yeah, im screening. I dont call anyone who is on the do not call list.

Im just wondering if anyone had any advice on the questions stated.

I used to call evenings from 6pm to 8pm my family ate around 5pm and having young kids I did not like calls later so I also did not call during that time....With seniors I called earlier in the day from 9am till 4pm.

If they complain about calling during dinner just apalogise as your not going to make them happy...Personally I let the phone ring during supper if it important they call back or leave a message.

Please tell me you are screening for people on the do not call list as violations can be 11k per pop.

It's actually up to 16k.

Here is a good Q&A on the government's website, Q&A For Telemarketers & Sellers About DNC Provisions in TSR | BCP Business Center.

Additionally, each state can have it's own rules. Most don't, but texas does have different rules for Sunday. Personally I wouldn't call on Sunday, especially because there are six other days of the week you can try that are less controversial, but in most states you're legal to call then.

I used to call evenings from 6pm to 8pm my family ate around 5pm and having young kids I did not like calls later so I also did not call during that time....With seniors I called earlier in the day from 9am till 4pm.

If they complain about calling during dinner just apalogise as your not going to make them happy...Personally I let the phone ring during supper if it important they call back or leave a message.

Norwayguy is right. I would simply apologize, hang up and call that number back on a different day at a different time.

Let's use a little logic, shall we?

If you are calling from a PERSONAL line... and you are personally dialing the phone (not a robo-dialer)... you'll be fine.

If someone says to you "I'm on the DNC list", simply say "I apologize and I'll update my records."

Now, if you REPEATEDLY call that same number back... THEN you may have an issue. Of course, you'd never sell that household either, so it's a waste of time.

If you're calling from a phone in a FIRM... you need to follow the DNC to the letter... because the FIRM could get in trouble and not just you.

Back