Individual Plan for a person that arrived with intention to stay

Katusha

Hello dear agents,
I have a question please.

A family member will be arriving to the US on tourist visa, and then we will apply for the family reunion petition as I am a citizen.

In the meantime-until they receive SSN and work permit and be able to get coverage via the marketplace-I understand we can buy health insurance outside of the marketplace (not based on income, no supplements, no Medi Cal).

As a proof of qualifying event they will be added to the lease, get bills, phone number etc.

The person is over 65 years old.

I was told until someone has SSN etc no health plan will accept them-is that true? I understand health plans for people over 65 are costly, however they arr better than the travel insurance.

Would you please kindly advice?

Also, if you were able to help someone purchase coverage in similar situation please let me know, I will be glad to become a customer :)

Thank you so much!

Petersen International Underwriters in San Diego has a plan for non- citizens awaiting Medicare

Foreign nationals traveling to the United States on business or for vacation may not be aware of the expensive cost of medical treatment in the US. Imagine the shock and stress that could overwhelm your foreign clients upon the realization that they are fiscally responsible for medical care in the event of an accident or illness! With PIU’s International Major Medical plan you can help protect your clients in the event of an accident or illness while they are traveling in the USA.

You probably know this and advise clients about the 12 month lookback on pre-ex.

Max term is 364 days. At the end of that period they must apply for a new policy.

FAQ, page 5, question 1 - : If I have a claim under the first policy, will the condition be considered a pre-existing condition on the renewal? Answer: The condition will be considered a pre-existing condition on any new term of insurance.

https://www.visitorscoverage.com/brochure/bridge-insurance-brochure.pdf

Who is the issuing carrier?

I believe this used to be offered via a SL carrier. Is that still the case?

I have not sold a Petersen policy in years but they were the only company I could find when I sold med supps and had customers bringing their parents into the country to live with them. People emigrating to the US do not understand that there is no immediate entry into medicare and five years of finger crossing doesn't work for most. The Petersen folks were great to deal with and the OP is in California, surely there is someone there who writes for Petersen

Back