Is Anybody Making Real Money Out There?

Agents who make more than $100,000 annually are most likely to work 50-59 hours per week. The only surveyed agents who reported working 70 hours per week or more make over $100,000 per year.

I don't punch a time clock. Haven't in years.

I have no idea how many hours I work but I know it is a lot more than when I had a regular J. O. B.

Some weeks I work 50, some well over 100. I work until I burn out then stop.

M - Th I rarely work less than 10 hours per day. Might work 6 on Friday plus another 5 - 10 over the weekend.

I also work most holidays.

But I do this because I enjoy helping people.

It's not for the $$$ but that is not my motivation.

Last edited:
I don't punch a time clock. Haven't in years.

I have no idea how many hours I work but I know it is a lot more than when I had a regular J. O. B.

Some weeks I work 50 some, well over 100. I work until I burn out then stop.

M - Th I rarely work less than 10 hours per day. Might work 6 on Friday plus another 5 - 10 over the weekend.

I also work most holidays.

But I do this because I enjoy helping people.

It's not for the $$$ but that is not my motivation.
When I was with National Life and Accident the only holiday I did not work was Christmas Day. Worked News Years Day because I wanted to start the year off with production.. The other holidays were jsut a good time to catch people home, especially Thanksgiving Day since it was on the last Thursday of the month which was account day for the month. Now, I take them all off and have for years.

Agents who make more than $100,000 annually are most likely to work 50-59 hours per week. The only surveyed agents who reported working 70 hours per week or more make over $100,000 per year.

Final expense agents making twice that are in the field 2 to 3 days each week. That doesn’t mean they are totally not working the other days. They do their backend work. But they aren’t going 50 to 59 hours grinding.

Technology will eventually consolidate this industry like all others. Those at the top will take all the business.

Those of you who are coasting because you "make enough" are running a risk of losing your edge and losing your business to those of us willing to sacrifice and win.

Like most if you, this isn't my first rodeo, not my first career. In my last industry we watched extremely well paid executives coast because "life balance" and all that bougie nonsense. All of them are out of business now. The few that are left are making more money than ever.

If you are coasting and feel like enough is enough, you are failing to see the barbarians at your gates.

Technology will eventually consolidate this industry like all others. Those at the top will take all the business.

Those of you who are coasting because you "make enough" are running a risk of losing your edge and losing your business to those of us willing to sacrifice and win.

Like most if you, this isn't my first rodeo, not my first career. In my last industry we watched extremely well paid executives coast because "life balance" and all that bougie nonsense. All of them are out of business now. The few that are left are making more money than ever.

If you are coasting and feel like enough is enough, you are failing to see the barbarians at your gates.

That's a silly argument.

For a number of reasons.

1) If you have half a brain, you're diversifying your income streams.

2) Your value proposition changes from just an X insurance agent to a local resource. People will ALWAYS want someone they can call and talk to vs a big company they have to wait to talk to call center about their money or insurance company.

3) The internet will continue to be the great equalizer. Companies cannot target every single keyword, niche, opening. Your job, as a marketer, is to find out YOUR competitive advantage.

Run your business your way. Thinking in the foreseeable future that the independent agent will get snuffed out is not reality.

That's a silly argument.

Don't conflate my observation of a pattern with an argument

Thinking in the foreseeable future that the independent agent will get snuffed out is not reality.

Depends what you mean. Do you want to join assurance for a $50 per sale commission? Assurnace agents are "independent agents".

The internet will continue to be the great equalizer.

No. Technology breeds consolidation. Ask retail store owners how they are doing compared to Amazon and Walmart if you dont believe me. Technology separates the winners from everyone else. Those who are able to dominate digital ads and brand building combined with sales tools and automation designed to assist the customer journey will win everything.

If you are coasting at less than full speed, you are guaranteed to lose your edge. Most of you will go out of business anyways. Especially trie if you use note cards for a crm or still do cold calling (i.e. yesteryear methods) like I've seen suggested in this archaic forum.

Back