Is It Really Worth It

I have been in the insurance business for 6 years. The last 4 years I have focused mainly on med supp. I have NEVER taken the AHIP. Hope I never have to.

So,

No to AHIP.

Yes to me supp.

The AHIP is the easy thing you'll do all year. Pay the tax, flip through the screens and take the test. The separate carrier certs are a pain if you don't limit them to two or three. Not difficult, but annoying because if you don't do it your renewals stop.

There are agents that keep up large numbers of MA and PDP appointments without having to scramble around every year doing the certs, and they have a secret...Debbie or Chris in the office does it for them.

Certainly a hassle factor. I knock the ceetification stuff out in the summer. The more you do them the easier it gets. SOS. The rules and regs for doing business are a hassle as well. When renewals come in it doesn't seem so bad.

MA plans are really a market driven product. In the more rural areas, Medicare Supplement remain the primary product, while in the more metro areas, MA plans are becoming more and more popular.

Yes, AHIP and carrier certs are a pain, but I am hoping CMS changes it to the way the ACA certs are: 1 federal test and then you get your certificate. However, I am not holding my breath on that one.

MA plans are really a market driven product. In the more rural areas, Medicare Supplement remain the primary product, while in the more metro areas, MA plans are becoming more and more popular.

Yes, AHIP and carrier certs are a pain, but I am hoping CMS changes it to the way the ACA certs are: 1 federal test and then you get your certificate. However, I am not holding my breath on that one.

you think too logically. You need to think more like the government:
ACA certs will become more like MAPD certs...

My FMO was really pushing us to get this done saying we could make 25-30k in 7 weeks. I tried, but just got tired of the quizzes and tests and to think I'd have to do this year after year. I know ... A little lazy lol, but do you really need MA?

With that statement, stay out of the business as a whole. If you're too lazy to do a very simple certification then I'd be safe to assume you'll not do any further study after that. You'll need to learn all of the facets in Medicare to identify potential pitfalls or benefits for any/every client you interact with. Stay OUT.

Is it really worth it to have med supp in your tool bag? I threw in the towel Oct 1. I started the ahip and one of the carrier trainings and thought to it self do I want to do this every year? So I said F it. I'm wondering if I might have made a mistake.

I suggest that you rent some expensive office space, lease some fine wood office furniture, put up a pretty sign, then wait for them to line up at your door. Easy Peasy. No hard work.

I suggest that you rent some expensive office space, lease some fine wood office furniture, put up a pretty sign, then wait for them to line up at your door. Easy Peasy. No hard work.

Profound ... Take you a while to come up with that? Lol

Back