Is sales a talent?

Interesting points. I know alot of very good athletes who are not good golfers, and 1 scratch golfer inparticular who willl admit he is a horrible athlete.

Nature vs. nurture. If anyone remembers a guy named Albert Bell, MLB outfileder in the 90's, commanded a huge salary and what not. He had a twin brother that never sniffed baseball at the major league level. Probably had desire, but not enough talent, funny I think.

Andruw Jones, current MLB player, one of the most gifted natural baseball players in my generation, also the lazyiest man in baseball. Made a few all-star games and a buch of money. He basically just cruises by on talent, he is not as young now so it does not come to him as easy though.

IMO, you need to have a little of both. Does not have to be 50/50, because alot of times one can pull the others weight, so to speak. But there should always be improvement, no matter how small. If you are stagnent, you might as well be moving backwards. And that friends, is my .02.;)

I guess what I'm asking is that saying they have the proper motivation and the proper training can anyone be successful an an insurance agent

I don't believe you could say that 100% of the time, proper motivation and proper training would turn someone into a successful insurance agent. It goes deeper into a person's natural abilities and gifting. Some people are just not wired to deal with other people on this level. Some people are just not wired to deal with other people, at all.

Case in point: One of my physicians is a man of great intellect. He is an extremely competent man when it comes to internal medicine and how to use one of those things that views your colon and intestines :confused:. And, he can explain what this-and-that does and how it all happens. Photographic memory!!! Can quote passages from medical text books just like Billy Graham could quote the Bible. But, he has the personality of drying paint. Never in a million years would I sit still and listen to him long enough to learn anything about any kind of insurance policy. In fact, if he isn't working to stop my immediate physical pain, I won't go near the man. So, here is an example of a brilliant man who has little to no chance of ever being successful in insurance...no matter how much motivation he possesses or how much training he receives.

Some people are like this guy - incredibly gifted when it comes to learning information and knowing how to apply it perfectly, but totally lacking in the skills to sell it. He is successful, not in insurance, but in a field that is well-suited for his own strengths.

Last edited:
Andruw Jones, current MLB player, one of the most gifted natural baseball players in my generation, also the lazyiest man in baseball. Made a few all-star games and a buch of money. He basically just cruises by on talent, he is not as young now so it does not come to him as easy though.

And that is why, dear friends, my beloved Atlanta Braves :noteworthy: sent his lazy rump a-packing and he ended up in the minors....oh wait....he's with the Dodgers.... Ehhhh. Same difference.:radar:

First of all, when you said lazy, I thought you meant Manny Ramirez, an amazing natural talent and will never achieve what he could due to his horrible attitude.

If you've ever heard of, or read the book "Talent is never enough" by John C Maxwell, there have been instances where people who had desire surpassed the ones with natural talent because they worked harder to get what they wanted.

Also, you described you doctor like this:

"One of my physicians is a man of great intellect. He is an extremely competent man when it comes to internal medicine and how to use one of those things that views your colon and intestines :confused:. And, he can explain what this-and-that does and how it all happens. Photographic memory!!!"

One would think that if he decided to apply his natural talent (photographic memory) and his ability to explain what seems to be difficult (this and that) he actually would be able to sell insurance if he was taught how to. His product knowledge would crush, he'd remember everything from the needs analysis, he'd even remember a client 6 months later. Those natural gifts combined with sale skills would work quite well.

And are you saying he can't sell due to lack of personality? have you seen some of the agents out there? I'm not surprised anymore, nor do I assume anymore.

John, we were talking about the movie Door to Door, I rented it at Blockbuster, I'll post a thread on it in a minute.

I am simply saying that it takes a combination of all things to be truely successful in the sales industry. Product knowledge is a must, but let my accountant learn everything about insurance, and he will not be successful. Nice enough guy, I guess, but the personality of a cigarette butt.

Greatest personality in the world, with no product knowledge, sell a few here and there, but how many will stick?

There are 4 different personality types in this world, for all intents and purposes. Each one has a different "hot button" if you will. You still have to connect in some way to make it a long lasting relationship.:idea:

I am simply saying that it takes a combination of all things to be truely successful in the sales industry. Product knowledge is a must, but let my accountant learn everything about insurance, and he will not be successful. Nice enough guy, I guess, but the personality of a cigarette butt.

Greatest personality in the world, with no product knowledge, sell a few here and there, but how many will stick?

There are 4 different personality types in this world, for all intents and purposes. Each one has a different "hot button" if you will. You still have to connect in some way to make it a long lasting relationship.:idea:

I totally agree and that's what I was trying to express, sorry. It does take several combined ingredients to succeed at sales.

Like making a good sauce.

:GEEK:

PS: I'll say it again, nice quote Napoleon!!!

This would be true in the case of phone skills. When I have to whack my hand with a hammer to stay awake when I'm talking to some agents then....

John Savage is considered to be one of the insurance industries all time greats and by his own admission it took him 9 years to become really successful. That sounds like it was learned not born. Look at the examples of NYL's all time great Ben Feldman and MetLife's Mehdi Fakharzadeh. Neither were a "born salesman" but all of the greats shared one thing in common. They would never, never give up or quit and they worked harder and smarter than any of their contemporaries.

Back