Lasso MSA

I assume this MSA, being an MA, allows for a trial right option, and GI back to med supp.?

CMS sets rules for GI into Medicare. I don't see the MSA option in this chart.

Based on the few "legitimate" GI cases I have handled, it almost seems like the documentation process varies by carrier. Most want a letter from the prior carrier stating the individual has a guaranteed right, but I have seen a few cases where the carrier letter was not required. And at least one situation where the carrier alluded to a guaranteed right but avoided that language specifically.

CMS sets rules for GI into Medicare. I don't see the MSA option in this chart.

Based on the few "legitimate" GI cases I have handled, it almost seems like the documentation process varies by carrier. Most want a letter from the prior carrier stating the individual has a guaranteed right, but I have seen a few cases where the carrier letter was not required. And at least one situation where the carrier alluded to a guaranteed right but avoided that language specifically.

https://www.medicare.gov/Pubs/pdf/02110-Medicare-Medigap.guide.pdf?

Page 23, the top 2 GI rights would apply. Doesn't mention MSA, but MSA is a Medicare advantage plan. Does this help?

Besides tax purposes why would this be better for our clients than an HD F/G?
It's a bit more extreme version of HD F/G. Out of the gate, they would be about $3k ahead, tax free. Most HD F/G clients would likely be low utilizers (say, healthiest 35% or so). This group spends <$1,700/year per CMS FFS data:
https://www.cms.gov/Research-Statis...onic-conditions-state/cc_state_dashboard.html

Click on Spending by Condition Count and filter to 65+ for age group and Medicare only for enrollment. Keep in mind $1,700 is an average driven by the high utilizers in the healthy cohort, so a lot of that spending would occur above the deductible (say 1/3 or so).

Last edited:
They can also use the upfront money for non qualified expenses such as dental and vision, it just doesn't count towards the deductible. Any money not used will accrue. At least this is my understanding and that will be attractive to some.

Per Medicare and You, for my state, the cash out of pocket amounts don't change much from the "norms" with other MA plans. They just shift to the right, after some "free" money.

This smacks to me of a pyramid scheme fiasco of epic proportions, to be paid for by those of us remaining on original Medicare. One has to look no further than comments in a thread on site earlier this month to see what is coming.:yes:

Additional welfare dollars for the poor and extra money for the wealthy, all coming out of Medicare funds. :skeptical: The people in the middle will continue to get the squeeze play if they have serious medical conditions while on the MA plan. :twitchy:

Edit:
Plan information indicates that persons on Medicaid may not participate in the Lasso MSA.
End Edit

Last edited:
I would guess it saves the govt money in less total disbursements to carriers and beneficiaries.

Instead of some unlicensed conspirator blabbing his mouth off, maybe Craig can intervene?

I would guess it saves the govt money in less total disbursements to carriers and beneficiaries.

Instead of some unlicensed conspirator blabbing his mouth off, maybe Craig can intervene?

Nice to see you are at the duty desk this morning. One does not have to have an insurance license to consider a flow of money.

I suspect I know whose cash flow a carrier is going to be most interested in maintaining. When beneficiaries are required to pay more out of their own pockets, there is certainly a possibility that both the government and carriers would pay less.

Commission!

Oh. never mind. You said, "for our clients."

In all seriousness, I do see the MSA as a good option - one I would consider if I were on Medicare. I think a big benefit is the accruing $ in the account when not used.

Craig - will it be available in July 2049?

Back