Long Time Listener...first Time Caller

Sure, and since a lot of people around here know me as a Guardian hack I'll speak to the recognition of dividends directly.

Outside of presitige value II they are rather expensive in my experience. They do manage to get a lot of premium into their paid up 65 product without MECing, which is potentially nice, but I've seen better illustrated values. And even with Prestige value, for a little more I can get Guardian's 121 product and not have to wait 10 years to start receiving dividends.

I'm not a big fan of non-direct recognition and here's why. First, there's no magical potion owned by any of the insurance companies. If they are going to pay the same dividends for a loaned value as a non loaned value, there some place they have to make this up. The two areas are, policies without loaned values, and a variable interest rate.

Most of the direct recognition companies have fixed rates (Penn Mutual being the only one I can think of that is an exception). Now, if dividend rates drop below the loan interest rate, it's possible a company would pay a higher dividend rate on loaned values because of the spread between dividend rate and loan interest, and Guardian actually does this. The Quiet company not so much, they need your money so they can pay out the highest number of dividends even if that means not paying you the dividends, they have a lot of other policy holders to satify you know. :goofy:

On the issue of illustrations, an illustrated value doesn't mean much, because it's almost guaranteed to be wrong.

But what happens to my ON policy with it's magical non-direct recognition if I start pulling loans as an income stream and they start increasing the loan interest rate on me? Now I have to worry just the same about how big the loan is getting. I can't name a non-direct company that has a current loan rate below the guaranteed rate on their WL product. For a product built on the notion of guarantees, it sure doesn't make a lot of sense to leave that component (loan interst) flapping in the wind.

I recently looked at ON or a case I was working on that sought to show an income stream coming from the policy in later years. For kicks I ran the ON illustration for this reason. Here's what happened, Guardian not only could maintain the inome stream longer, it maintained higher dividends than Ohio National until the last 5 years of the income stream, which was already past the time Ohio National illustrated being able to take income.

Their waiver rider isn't that excellent (I'll give them credit since they will waive scheduled PUAs).

Their term blend isn't all that flexible.

Their accelerated death benefit rider is pretty standard, but there are better.

Again, great Term rates and a solid UL. In fact I'm planning on taking apps for two term cases tomorrow with them, and plan on making a UL proposal with them to a long time client in a few weeks.

WL, maybe, but probably not.
You're with Guardian? Small world. I was with Guardian from 1990 to 1998. Bob Ball (Living Balance Sheet) was our Co-General Agent before taking a job with Bob Castiglione (LEAP) and then becoming a consultant to Guardian. I have a good friend who is with Guardian, so we're always comparing notes.

I understand both sides of the dividend issue, and I understand there are many moving parts. My opinion on direct recognition comes from the fact that the insurance company is already charging loan interest for money to be out of the policy. To then reduce the dividend on top of that is like having a CD at the bank. You borrow from the bank and pay the interest they charge for the loan, and on top of that they reduce the interest rate on the CD. Ultimately, one approach may not be any better than the other, but non-direct just rings truer for me. Ohio National's variable loan rate is tied to a Moody's Bond index and is currently 5.45%. Given a choice of 5.45% and all of the dividend or 8% and part of the dividend, I would prefer the first choice. This works better for me because I promote whole life as an alternate to bank financing for cars and other items usually financed. They key point is to repay the loans just like you would to the financial institution. In this scenario, non-direct seems to work well.

A company in your back yard offers advanced commissions, Ohio National Life. They have very competitive term rates. American General and Genworth also offer advances. Midland National Life does as well. I know there are others, but that's all I can think of off the top of my head.

With O.N., you have to have the production to start out at level 5. That is where advances start. I started there without much life premium, but they took into consideration my med. supp. production, and I started out at level 5.

Given a choice of 5.45% and all of the dividend or 8% and part of the dividend, I would prefer the first choice.

But this isn't an accurate depiction of how it works. Ohio national has a dividend rate of 6.4% and a loan rate of 5.45%. If I take a policy loan I'll get the dividend rate for all cash values regardless of loan status as we know, and there is a 95 bp spread between dividend rate and loan rate.

Let's look at Guardian for example. Current dividend rate is 7% and fixed loan rate is 8% paid in advance until 20 years and age 60 when it drops to 5%.

Guardian currently uses 3 different dividend rates on loaned values, they depend on length of time the policy has been in force they look like this:

Policy years 1-20 7.9%

Policy years 20+ but not yet age 60 8.4%

20+ years and after age 60 5.8% (this is when the fixed loan rate drops to 5%).

So currently there's at max a 10 pb spread between dividend rate and loan interest for loaned value dividends. And in two potential cases, the spread is positive.

To be clear, if the dividend rate started to climb significantly beyond the fixed loan rate, this would change absolutely. Loaned value dividend rate would start to hover around or be lower than the loan intest rate.

This works better for me because I promote whole life as an alternate to bank financing for cars and other items usually financed. They key point is to repay the loans just like you would to the financial institution. In this scenario, non-direct seems to work well.

AKA, you promote bank on yourself. I actually like most of the BOY stuff, but I think its one problem is it facination with non-direct recognition. In my opnion they treat it like some magic pill, it's a good marketing angle, that's probably it.

Does anyone know if you can contact directly through Genworth, American General, or Midland? If so....anyone have contacts they already use? Thanks for all the help so far.

As I stated earlier, you can contract direct with Midland. Just look up Midland National Life. They will likely pass your information on to a Regional Director.

You can't contract direct with Genworth nor American General. Contact Douglas Heath at 800-955-9211 ext.209. They have great commissions and service for many carriers.

Does anyone know if you can contact directly through Genworth, American General, or Midland? If so....anyone have contacts they already use? Thanks for all the help so far.

AKA, you promote bank on yourself. I actually like most of the BOY stuff, but I think its one problem is it facination with non-direct recognition. In my opnion they treat it like some magic pill, it's a good marketing angle, that's probably it.
Bank on Yourself is the new Pamela Yellen program. I took a quick look at it. There's nothing new as far as content, just some new packaging. Everything she said has been taught by Circle of Wealth, LEAP, and Nelson Nash for years.

Rivdogg, apologies for highjacking your thread.

Bank on Yourself is the new Pamela Yellen program. I took a quick look at it. There's nothing new as far as content, just some new packaging. Everything she said has been taught by Circle of Wealth, LEAP, and Nelson Nash for years.

Agreed, nothing earth shattering, though I think she did a better job packaging it for general consumers than Bob Castiglione did with LEAP--I realize LEAP is designed more for you and me to translate for the general public.

Yes, my apologies, too. But I have found this conversation amusing. At the very least Larry you've elaborated a bit on why you like non-direct recognition, which is more than I get from most. Ususally the fights I get into on this topic involve the pro non-direct guy or gal telling me, but you get paid the dividends no matter what. And then they keep saying it louder and louder. Just a few months ago I had some punks at Met Life present non-direct recognition as if it were a gift from God...they lost.

I remember sitting down with my Ohio National guy the first time and while talking about their WL products he says, "and our WL products...all non-direct recogntion..." and he paused and looked at me as if he had just told me something I was supposed to be super excited about.

I looked at him and said, "big deal, I'm actually of the school of thought that doesn't think that's the end all be all feature of WL, and could give you quite a few reasons why I don't prefer it."

He got kind of pissed and started talking about how it was a very well respected feature among most agents. My response was "good for them" and we moved on to a different topic.

No worries guy's it happens.

Midland seems to have a nice set up. Looks like I will be contracting with them. Also, after talking with my GA it looks like he is willing to front me the commisions on the companies they broker with if I give him 5 pts and put together a contract making me liable for chargebacks. Sounds like a good deal to me.

Pamela Yellen has been hawking this program for years, so it's not news. She refers to Nelson Nash's Bank on Yourself program.

Oh man, she's got a video now going...My, she is not aging well. Interesting to see how she moves from one thing to another over the years.

Here's Nash's website - Becoming Your Own Banker. The Official Web Site of the Infinite Banking Concept. R Nelson Nash.

Back