Marketing Medicare Advantages

The original lead was for the FE. Not sure how that tactic is different from cold calling for FE and then going back the next day to sell MAPD. Or cold calling MediCap and doing the same thing. I know both are done all the time.

Some friendly advice, Fred. You sound like a go-getter, and an ethical person. Take the AHIP test. That will give you clear markings of what you can and cannot do when marketing Medicare Advantage Plans and Prescription Drug Plans. It is it's own universe, unlike Medicare Supplements, Final Expense, Dental, Vision, Life, Long Term Care. You name it.

If you need some personal guidance, have lunch with a few Medicare Advantage sales reps in your area.

There is a 48-hour rule when you get an SOA signed (few exceptions). Also, become very familiar with the Medicare and You book each senior gets. That will be a great tool.

Thanks for the advice- you are correct- I want to within the law- but also do what I can to be competitive. I have completed AHIP and been certified with three MA carriers. There seems to be gray areas revolved around this issue - or maybe what I am seeing other agents and companies do is not legal- but it seems to be endorsed by their home office. The details I described earlier describe the practice of a big FE/MA player in my area. I know what the Medicare law says - but like a lot of laws - what is the "real life" interpretation- and as I understand it- the 48 hr rule has been reduced to "before the appt starts".

I mean if you are on a FE appt and a client happens to just ask you about MAPD plans you could do a scope and come back.

But I have a feeling your colleagues are not doing it that way. And to add to that, for 10 months out of the year you won’t be able to help those mapd people without a sep.

How are you finding these FE people without leads? Cold calling? Then you can’t technically get a mapd sale that originated from a cold call.

I mean if you are on a FE appt and a client happens to just ask you about MAPD plans you could do a scope and come back.

But I have a feeling your colleagues are not doing it that way. And to add to that, for 10 months out of the year you won’t be able to help those mapd people without a sep.

How are you finding these FE people without leads? Cold calling? Then you can’t technically get a mapd sale that originated from a cold call.

They are setting appts (or door knocking) with purchased FE leads. They do fact finding to determine their Medicare, health and income situation- sell FE if they can- do a SOA if applicable - then come back and sell the MAPD- basically marketing the MAPD. while they are there with the client. The goal is to make fast money with FE and get future residuals with MA, During the off season- they push the chronic care and DE SEPs, if that's legal - why not cold seniors trying to sell MediGap policies- fact find- get a scope - then come back and sell MAPD!s. It seems like - according to Medicare guidelines- using the FE lead as an opportunity to sell MA is bait and switch- or is it??

They are setting appts (or door knocking) with purchased FE leads. They do fact finding to determine their Medicare, health and income situation- sell FE if they can- do a SOA if applicable - then come back and sell the MAPD- basically marketing the MAPD. while they are there with the client. The goal is to make fast money with FE and get future residuals with MA, During the off season- they push the chronic care and DE SEPs, if that's legal - why not cold seniors trying to sell MediGap policies- fact find- get a scope - then come back and sell MAPD!s. It seems like - according to Medicare guidelines- using the FE lead as an opportunity to sell MA is bait and switch- or is it??

CMS knows that a lot of cross-selling goes on. The only thing they are saying you can't do is to call for one product with the intention of getting the MAPD. So, this rule is a bit open because it would be hard to prove that an agent is actually doing that. Seems it would be one of those rules that would be hard to enforce.

Makes sense- that's kind of what I was thinking- so if I cold call FE or MediGap and find out that the client qualifies for a MAPD - I should' be able to get a SOA and come in two days to sell it

From what I understand, you can cold call someone about Medicare Supplements and set an appointment. You could even go door knocking about Medicare Supplements (except AARP). If while talking to a prospect during the THEY bring up Medicare Advantage, you can whip out a scope, get them to sign it, and start talking about Medicare Advantage and sell them a Med Adv plan.

All of this is perfectly legal and technically Kosher (despite what other posters are telling you).

HOWEVER, what every agent will tell you who has been in the business long enough is you DO NOT want to get in hot water with CMS or any of the carriers. All it takes is ONE or TWO Medicare Beneficiaries calling Medicare or Humana and you better believe Humana will drop you faster than a hot potato. You could have done everything technically right but it just takes one instance of the beneficiary having a problem with you or Humana thinking that you're taking advantage of people and the agent will ALWAYS be the one thrown under the bus.

Every agent that has been around long enough has seen agents try and skirt the rules or take shortcuts. You probably won't get burnt the first time or the tenth time, but sooner or later it will catch up with you. Every agent I know that's been in the business 20+ years is extremely compliance obsessed and extremely careful about what they say and do and there's a very simple reason for that.

Back