Medicare Help - No Rush I know y'all r busy

OK. I give up. It actually isn't a brag if it is true, no? It was not a one upmanship (who was I one upping?). It's more like this is an opportunity for someone. Don't these fmos or other "uplines" get a financial incentive of any kind? Wouldn't you want to add people to your team that have some proven skills? But thanks for the feedback. I will no longer post because I can't seem to do this in a way that doesn't offend people.

Your posting is up to you, it doesn't matter to me.

I am, at least to some, an unpopular presence on the forum. I have learned, the hard way, that posts may not always be taken the way the poster intends. And once the bad impression is made, it is pretty difficult to back away from it. I can't give you good description words, but your posts seem to me like steps to getting off on the wrong foot.

To my mind anyway, there is a significant difference between saying something like I'm an RN and my sons have been salesmen in other fields, we are going to get licensed in 2020 and work with a career shift to selling Medicare products in the FL market and would appreciate advice and input about that-- and the kinds of things you said.

One of the absolute top dumbest things I did when I was a very new poster here was to talk, or brag, to someone about how good a salesperson I could be. Turns out this person is a top national salesman of final expense insurance and what I was doing was a really dumb shortcut to no help at all from anybody.

Based on the comments you have made about how good your sons are selling things, I can think of at least one FMO who would not take you on because he would have to retrain them.

Last edited:
Based on the comments you have made about how good your sons are selling things, I can think of at least one FMO who would not take you on because he would have to retrain them.

Here is the thing and you would know this is you were in the field, FMO's are not looking to train anyone They dont have to train anyone

I have got very little real training from an FMO ever

In this buis it is up to the Individual

Now I know there are a lot of FE agents on here that do a lot in training

But not so much elsewhere and Cafe Wednesdays or whatever its called is not training

FMO's can give you a lot of Info, But as an Agent, if you don't know what Info You need to take and what to leave and how to apply it the real world you its not going to help that much

The real training is in the field making mistakes finding solutions day in and day out

Medicare and other health insurance lines are a "want" product that is bought. Same can be said for auto and homeowners insurance.

Life insurance is a "need" product that is sold. Few people have the inate skill set to sell life insurance and have to be trained.

Medicare is more about product knowledge but you also need people skills. Learn to ask questions rather than pitching a product. Focus on helping them understand how the products work and allowing them to BUY from you vs SELLING them something they may not want, need or can afford.

Some folks don't understand the difference. This is especially true about one who has never sold either product.

Last week I had people from Comcast and the power company on my property.

I knew enough about my internet problems to realize the problem was somewhere outside the house. Either in the line or the equipment on the pole.

Same for my electrical problem. At first I thought it was localized in the kitchen. Then I realized it was all over the house. I thought the problem might be in the service panel but more likely in the power line.

Turns out I was right on both counts. But I lacked the tools or the knowledge to do my own repairs.

When the cable guy and electrician arrived I explained the problem and let them diagnose it. I didn't tell them what was wrong, or how to fix it. Nor did I hang around and watch them make the repairs.

But there are people in this world that feel like they know your business better than you do and want to tell you how to run it.

I feel very comfortable offering suggestions to folks in the insurance business. I figure my years in the industy include first hand experience that is valuable to others.

Not everyone feels the same way.

Some folks are like Jethro Bodine. One week he is a mathmetician. The next a brain surgeon or an airplane pilot.

Last Dollar is our Jethro Bodine.

It looks like the last time @bad kitty was on the forum was shortly after her goodbye post. That's really sad. She seems like someone who is eager to learn and share her thoughts.

But Jethro ran her off.

Bad Jethro.

Some folks are like Jethro Bodine. One week he is a mathmetician. The next a brain surgeon or an airplane pilot.

Last Dollar is our Jethro Bodine.

It looks like the last time @bad kitty was on the forum was shortly after her goodbye post. That's really sad. She seems like someone who is eager to learn and share her thoughts.

But Jethro ran her off.

Bad Jethro.

Here is the thing and you would know this is you were in the field, FMO's are not looking to train anyone They dont have to train anyone

The great thing about this forum is it represents a crossroads of many many experiences of many many different insurance folks.

My comment was NOT a universal comment about all insurance fmo's. It WAS based on posts here by other posters who have had a different set of experiences than you have had, and hold different opinions on the matter.

The great thing about this forum is it represents a crossroads of many many experiences of many many different insurance folks.

My comment was NOT a universal comment about all insurance fmo's. It WAS based on posts here by other posters who have had a different set of experiences than you have had, and hold different opinions on the matter.

I Guess No one can argue with Your experience in this industry

:biggrin:

Years ago I took up golf as a "requirement" of my job. Never really cared for the game. But I took lessons, watched video's and read magazines.

The golf pro said all that was good but no substitute for actually getting out on the course and playing the game.

Last Dollar is a spectator, not a player.

Vic, I was sorry to see that post because I think it's character is a bit beneath you.

I don't believe I said that I had any experience in the insurance industry.

What I attempted to say is that there are those with experience in the insurance industry who have had different experiences than you have had and hold different opinions than you do about whether an FMO does, or should, train agents. Those are just as legitimate, experience based, points of view as yours are, and they have been expressed in posts here, just as yours have been.

Vic, I was sorry to see that post because I think it's character is a bit beneath you.

What I attempted to say is that there are those with experience in the insurance industry who have had different experiences than you have had and hold different opinions than you do about whether an FMO does, or should, train agents. Those are just as legitimate, experience based, points of view as yours are, and they have been expressed in posts here, just as yours have been.
You and Vic both use the same FMO. :yes:

You and Vic both use the same FMO. :yes:

There one of the Better FMO's They can help train to take test help with a lot of info
I can see many ways they can help a noob

What they cannot do is train you to be out in the field and sell insurance No one really can

They won't teach you how to underwrite, I have contacted them a couple of Times hen I was unsure what to do with a client, a w years ago and found out they know less than me, This is not a knock on them but it is what it is

You learn by being out in the field or on the phone in my case and making mistakes and finding solutions

Moreover, there is more too it then selling its a business like any other, the more years I do this the more I find I need to learn, Everything from managing budgets how to decide what's a good investment or not

Now I am learning to use my own telemarketers, I am still buying leads but the well is not as deep as before, I will need to learn to self generate online too, I will start to take more steps towards then next year This will take some time but its investment for the future

There is a lot to LD An FMO can only do so much

I don't think to many FMO's looks at someone and say of Jees I am going to have to unteach them and teach them new

FMO's don't really do that Its Your business and you have to be a grown-up and Treat it like your own if You're going to really make it

So I am not trying to Bash you LD but you do have to understand you are not coming from a place of experience

Back