Medicare starting age ..?

We've all had clients go into medicare at 65 , 66, ... all the way into their 70's ..? What I am wondering is, what percentage typically at what age? What % of Medicare enrollees enter medicare at 65. 66 ,67,68 ..? Thoughts ... I've searched this ... someone's got to know this?

We've all had clients go into medicare at 65 , 66, ... all the way into their 70's ..? What I am wondering is, what percentage typically at what age? What % of Medicare enrollees enter medicare at 65. 66 ,67,68 ..? Thoughts ... I've searched this ... someone's got to know this?
without digging deep into my book of business, and figuring it out, I'd have to estimate that about 95% of my clients start Medicare at age 65.

probably about 3% sooner than 65 via disability, and the other 2% over age 65.

Give or take a few percentage points for each bucket

The last number I saw said that 27% of T65s are electing to remain in the workforce.

It's got more to do with a lack of saving for retirement than it does with medicare.

without digging deep into my book of business, and figuring it out, I'd have to estimate that about 95% of my clients start Medicare at age 65.

probably about 3% sooner than 65 via disability, and the other 2% over age 65.

Give or take a few percentage points for each bucket
That sounds high to me. 95% at age 65? We've had people in their 70's going into Medicare. How do you market? What % are MA vs. supp / pdp's? What area are you in? Thanks.

That sounds high to me. 95% at age 65? We've had people in their 70's going into Medicare. How do you market? What % are MA vs. supp / pdp's? What area are you in? Thanks.
He rides to work every day on a friggin unicorn. Hands out bags of fairy dust to all his clients. He's got it made.

Or to put it another way. He's in Florida.

The last number I saw said that 27% of T65s are electing to remain in the workforce.

It's got more to do with a lack of saving for retirement than it does with medicare.
And this comes into it ..?

Age 66​

The Social Security full retirement age is 66 for most baby boomers born between 1943 and 1954. However, for people born in the five years after that, the full retirement age again increases in two-month increments each year.

Birth yearFull retirement age
195566 and two months.
195666 and four months
195766 and six months
195866 and eight months
195966 and 10 months

@rmhaire pretty much nailed it

I market to people turning 65, so my numbers might be a little slanted when compared to others. Also, most of the people aged 65 in Florida, have already retired from other states and moved here.

It might be a bit less, maybe 90%, but its definitely nothing significantly lower than that

as for the mix of my Medicare book, its 57% MAPD 43% medsupp

I'm in North/Central Florida, a little west of Ocala

Over the years, my marketing included In-person Seminars and a little direct response mail. In the very early days cold calling as well.
These days the majority of my business comes from my online efforts and referrals. I do not do seminars or mailers anymore.

Caveat not an agent.

What is your definition of: “going into Medicare “?

@rmhaire pretty much nailed it

I market to people turning 65, so my numbers might be a little slanted when compared to others. Also, most of the people aged 65 in Florida, have already retired from other states and moved here.

It might be a bit less, maybe 90%, but its definitely nothing significantly lower than that

as for the mix of my Medicare book, its 57% MAPD 43% medsupp

I'm in North/Central Florida, a little west of Ocala

Over the years, my marketing included In-person Seminars and a little direct response mail. In the very early days cold calling as well.
These days the majority of my business comes from my online efforts and referrals. I do not do seminars or mailers anymore.
Thanks ... yep. Like Chaz, Florida is a different animal I think. We are in Ohio. "over 1/2 MA's ..?" We did seminars ... 90+ % supps. Horse country huh ..? I played drums with this Zep tribute briefly ... the Rob Plant guy and Jimmy Page guys were outta there ... Thanks ...

And this comes into it ..?

Age 66​

The Social Security full retirement age is 66 for most baby boomers born between 1943 and 1954. However, for people born in the five years after that, the full retirement age again increases in two-month increments each year.

Birth yearFull retirement age
195566 and two months.
195666 and four months
195766 and six months
195866 and eight months
195966 and 10 months
Caveat not an agent.

Penalty time for Medicare.

Back