Moving Out of State with MedSupp

It definitely depends on the carrier. Once the company finds out that the person has moved, they could get charged a new rate. I recommend calling the company to see what will happen to the rates.

Had two clients move to new states recently. One had Aetna/CLI. Company confirmed no rate adjustment to new area. The other has MoO. Company confirmed rate adjusted to new area. So at least with those two carriers you'd break even on that bet.

Did have Aetna/CLI clients move in the past where premiums were lower in new area. They had to have new apps taken, UW, to get lower rate in new area.

I thought they all have to adjust rates once the permanent change of address is filed with CMS and SS because each state DOI regulates and approves the premium the carriers can charge in that state. I could be wrong but every client I have had move to another state had rates adjusted.

I would like to know if UHC/AARP is the only carrier that requires you to be licensed in the state your client moves to to be eligible to get renewals on Med supps ? I am pretty sure all carriers have to require licensure in the state to which clients moves to be eligible to collect MA renewals.

I thought they all have to adjust rates once the permanent change of address is filed with CMS and SS because each state DOI regulates and approves the premium the carriers can charge in that state. I could be wrong but every client I have had move to another state had rates adjusted. I would like to know if UHC/AARP is the only carrier that requires you to be licensed in the state your client moves to to be eligible to get renewals on Med supps ? I am pretty sure all carriers have to require licensure in the state to which clients moves to be eligible to collect MA renewals.

I'm not familiar with any of that. But it does not appear to be the case based on what I have been told by carriers and by the experiences of some of my clients who have moved to another state.

I'm not familiar with any of that. But it does not appear to be the case based on what I have been told by carriers and by the experiences of some of my clients who have moved to another state.

As far as my question about receiving renewals in states in which you are not licensed are you referring to Med supps or MA or both?

As far as my question about receiving renewals in states in which you are not licensed are you referring to Med supps or MA or both?

I just just had a lady move from PA to MD where I am not licensed. Lady has new era/phil American. They are not in the county where she moved. Anyway, new era said she can keep her plan and I continue to get paid. New era for the win!

As far as MA plans go, when a person moves to a different state they are required to get a new plan so there would be no renewals in those cases.

For med supps I have continued to get renewals when a person has moved to a state where I am not licensed.

As far as MA plans go, when a person moves to a different state they are required to get a new plan so there would be no renewals in those cases.

For med supps I have continued to get renewals when a person has moved to a state where I am not licensed.

Almost my entire book of Med supps is with UHC/AARP and they don't pay me renewals when client moves to states I am not licensed in. Are you getting paid renewals from UHC/AARP when your client moves to a state you are not licensed in?

For MA plans that makes perfect sense but what made ask the question was that UHC actually pays me renewals on my clients who I enrolled in Fl and when they moved to NC, Ga or Al states that I have a non resident license they still pay me renewals on most of these if they where enrolled in the new plan by telesales. Of course they never do this( for too long anyway lol) if they move to a state I am not licensed in.

Almost my entire book of Med supps is with UHC/AARP and they don't pay me renewals when client moves to states I am not licensed in. Are you getting paid renewals from UHC/AARP when your client moves to a state you are not licensed in? For MA plans that makes perfect sense but what made ask the question was that UHC actually pays me renewals on my clients who I enrolled in Fl and when they moved to NC, Ga or Al states that I have a non resident license they still pay me renewals on most of these if they where enrolled in the new plan by telesales. Of course they never do this( for too long anyway lol) if they move to a state I am not licensed in.

Very few of mine are with AARP. No relocators among the few but don't doubt that this is their rule. My most recent relocating client has MoO (only a few with them, too). MoO rep told me client would be repriced but I would get renewals despite no license there.

Last edited:
If someone moves out of state and the company has premiums filed in both states, their premiums should be adjusted, but a lot of times carriers never bother unless someone brings it to their attention. However If the company has premiums filed in their current state but not in their new state, they can't adjust their premiums. There is not much crossover of companies that are filed in WA and TX. Unless they have Mutual of Omaha or UHC, they're probably good. Although WA state has insane premiums and horrible commissions, if they can pass underwriting when they get to Texas, I'd move them. You'll save them probably $500+ or more a year and you'll probably double your commission.

Almost my entire book of Med supps is with UHC/AARP and they don't pay me renewals when client moves to states I am not licensed in. Are you getting paid renewals from UHC/AARP when your client moves to a state you are not licensed in?

This must be a UHC/AAPR issue. I've had several clients move out of state to states I'm not licensed in and I'm still receiving commissions.

Last edited:
Back