Need Help on My Cold Call Script

Translation: I don't have enough qualified prospects to work with.

There is truth to that, a lot of my leads are purchased and I'm still just starting out, I also don't like leaving money on the table. I'm sure it's different for someone that's already got a book of business than it is for someone like me who's been at this for a few months. Fact being though, the OP is probably more in my situation than yours. I doubt anyone is coming to either of us for speaking engagements.

There is truth to that, a lot of my leads are purchased and I'm still just starting out, I also don't like leaving money on the table. I'm sure it's different for someone that's already got a book of business than it is for someone like me who's been at this for a few months. Fact being though, the OP is probably more in my situation than yours. I doubt anyone is coming to either of us for speaking engagements.

You thought they were going to fall on their back, spread their legs and say, "give it to me?"

You can either make things happen, watch things happen, or wonder what happened...

Your time will always be better spent executing an intelligent marketing plan than wasting time going to see marginally qualified people hoping to catch lightning in a bottle.

A truth: people that want to see you the most, are the people you want to see the least. Take it to the bank!

PS-I don't "hate cold calling". I'm all about effectiveness and results.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I would skip that "how are you doing today?" Obviously, you don't really care and Mr. Prospect knows that. Save everybody time by getting to the purpose of the call. BTW, good post Paul (M&M).

An excellent point arn...it's wasted breath (not to mention insincere) in any part of the country.

Thanks for the props arn, you are still one of my favorite first class guys - the forum wouldn't be the same without you!

Last edited:
First of all, there are soooo many more effective things you can do than cold-calling; breakfast seminars for business owners; build alliances with a CPAs who can refer you in on a favorable basis; offer your services to Chamber and other business groups as a speaker ("Four Things Your Broker Didn't Tell You About Your Employee Health Plan"), etc.

I've been experimenting with some of these, the most powerful for me has been developing COI's with P&C and securities brokers and giving out commission splits as an incentive.

Public speaking has been a mixed bag for me. I believe the key is in how/who promotes the event. If it's a captive audience through an organization like a chamber, that seems to be the key. If I have to promote the event, I have a few choices, but costs me time or money. Going B2B/Phone work to get attendees seems to be more trouble than it's worth. I would rather go immediately for the appointment, after all, that's the goal of the seminar anyway and is as easy as convincing them to attend the event. I can send out post cards, but it's takes a decent investment to send them out. The exception may come when I have a large enough email list to drip on that I can cost effectively send out email invites for events with little time committment. I'm not there yet, but it's growing.

I know the seminar/public speaking can work, like M&M said, it all comes down to results.

Wow, thanks guys. A lot of what you mentioned sounds like duplicating a broken record. A psychologist once told me of this technique with his patience and it's effects. Thanks for the info!

Labman,
Try to ask questions in a way that directs prospects to answer your questions with the response you're looking for. When you ask " are you happy with your companys' current policy?" it's not very leading. "If I could show you how to receive the same or better coverage, at a better value , you'd find the time to meet with me this week wouldn't you?" IMHO

Wow, a man can learn a lot from you guys! I'm going to start implementing these suggestions today.

"If I could show you how to receive the same or better coverage, at a better value , you'd find the time to meet with me this week wouldn't you?"

I don't think this has worked in 10 years.

If you want appointments you need to engage the prospect. You do this by getting them to reveal pain. It's not always about cost. Sometimes it is service related.

The problem with a "money" pitch is that is what every salesman tries. It's not always about money.

When you position yourself as a problem solver, more specifically, someone who can solve THEIR problem, you have a prospect.

Until you find out what their problem is, you lose and so do they.

You thought they were going to fall on their back, spread their legs and say, "give it to me?".....

Paul, please tell me where I can find that? I have been searching for that for many moons.

A truth: people that want to see you the most, are the people you want to see the least. Take it to the bank!

Boy oh boy, ain't that the truth!!!!!

An excellent point arn...it's wasted breath (not to mention insincere) in any part of the country.

Thanks for the props arn, you are still one of my favorite first class guys - the forum wouldn't be the same without you!

Thanks for the accolades, Paul. You are making me blush!

I actually like cold calling, but I only deal with small business owners, familes, people who are paying for their own health coverage. When I'm driving and see a vehicle(work van, company car, etc) with a phone number on the side, I call it. Raw cold, never spoke to them in my life.

Here's my script...
Hi, is (client name) there?
(client name) this is (your name)... (pause)
...not sure if you are going to remember my name (your name)

I'm the (whatever position you want to use) with (company you represent) here in (name of county) county.

I spoke to you about six months ago about your health coverage, and (client name), when I talked to you at that time you just weren't interested, but you know, in this business there's a change.

I talk to somebody and they tell me to go away and I call them in three months and they've been looking for me for sixty days, you know... (kinda say this while laughing a little)
... and I thought I'd give you a call back and see if maybe you're interested at looking at a change.
-----------------------------------------

I use this for cold calling AND with older B-leads, or even any random business phone number you might come across. Remember, people can't recall who they spoke with last week let alone six months ago so you are in a conversation before they even know it. There is only two replies the client will give. 1) No, I'm happy with what I have, or 2) Yes, let's talk about what you have to offer.
Either answer you can work with and go from there. Whatever happens, save the contact info and... call them back in six months.;)

Back