New Life Agent in NC - Major Anxiety

" But now I wonder what it was they saw in me as far as my skillset that made them contact me and continue to work with me when they knew that I was new to this area. "

They saw the potential for you supplying them with 100 names.

??? Are you on 100% commission or salary + commission?

??? Did you pay for your licensing expenses or did the company?

I must say I learned from this thread - thanks.

Tom

" But now I wonder what it was they saw in me as far as my skillset that made them contact me and continue to work with me when they knew that I was new to this area. "

They saw the potential for you supplying them with 100 names.

??? Are you on 100% commission or salary + commission?

??? Did you pay for your licensing expenses or did the company?

I must say I learned from this thread - thanks.

Tom

Hi Tom. I have learned from this thread as well. I'm still very anxious and full of self-doubt right now, but I got some great advice and plan to act on it. Sales is very scary when you've never done it I suppose.

To answer your questions: I will be getting a salary for the first 17 weeks. My manager will go on appointments with me at first and that will be a part of my training. They also have a couple training sessions here at the office each week. I did pay for my pre-licensing course, but they will reimburse me upon appointment.

I think it is a very good company based on my gut instinct after meeting with them several times and from the discussions about them on this forum. They seem to have a great network of support in place and my manager and the general manager seem to be very knowledgeable and customer-service oriented. In particular, Survivor (who I would really like to hear from about his continued experience with AGLA) has made several posts about his experience working with them that I read today and he seems to think they are a good company to work for if you are going to be a captive agent. I think the salary, structure, and training will benefit me greatly being so new to the industry. I have no desire to be an independent agent at this time simply because I don't know enough about the industry and don't know many people in this area and I don't think I'd do very well. I need to be able to make a decent wage in a relatively short period of time.

Getting back to one of your points, I'm not so sure they saw me as a potential for generating 100 names as I was very upfront about being new to the area.

I'll be very surprised if you get any "sales training". You'll have to get that on your own.

This is a given.

They will bombard you with "product" training, which leaves you like a guy that knows a hundred different positions to make love in - but doesn't know any girls!

But the women are pining for you :biggrin:

Their "theory" is that their "name" and "products" are so wonderful, that they can train a chimpanzee to go out and sell them. Honestly.

I've seen a few chimps go out and never make a sale :bump:

Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way, hence the 98.8% washout rate. But, they have the business that was sold to your family/neighbors/friends at church, etc.

NAA :jiggy:

I'm assuming we are talking AGLA. I was with them in 1991 as a debit agent. I enjoyed it. I have tried to get back on board but they do not want to take a chance and re-hire someone who has quit, like myself. I wouldn't mind trying it as an "ordinary" agent, which is what they do now, non-debit, but am not able to as of now. Good luck with it, think twice about quitting, they will not re-hire.

I'm assuming we are talking AGLA.... Good luck with it, think twice about quitting, they will not re-hire.

LOL... HomeService - i'm not thinking of quitting. I haven't even started yet. And yes, my impression of them is that they appear to be a good company with a nice support structure. I've read many comments from other threads that state the same.

Lynn - what is NAA?

BTW, the reason I left was because of a couple of individual mgr { that are long gone} but they were goofy. The mgr now is one I've known since 1991 and I hold him in high regard, really like him, could work for him, but rules is rules....

I just want to send out a giant thank you to everyone that contributed to this thread. I feel like a big burden has been lifted off of my shoulders and my anxiety has disappeared. I feel energized and confident now. It seems like AGLA will be a good company to work for - I've read nothing but positive things in this forum. And I've had some preliminary discussions with some family members and every single one of them is willing to help with my new endeavor. I will start preparing for the time when this warm market of mine dries up by using the suggestions provided to me in this thread. For starters it will be door to door this weekend to introduce myself.

Everyone always says to know me is to love me so I think I have the personality factor in my favor. I really do want to be a part of a profession that helps people here in my own community. And being with a supportive agency like AGLA is another giant plus. And now that I've found this forum I will utilize the wisdom you all share throughout the forum. I'm dedicated to succeeding and eager to become well versed in our product line.

It's funny how the human psyche can turn on a dime... i feel like a million bucks right now and feel that the future holds good things for me in my new career. Thanks again - i can't tell you how much you have helped me today. In time, as I become more experienced and knowledgeable, I look forward to helping others that will surely be in the same spot i found myself in for the last 36 hours. You guys ROCK!!! Thanks again!

Back