Questions to Ask when Buying a Block of Business

Denniston

Expert
I'm considering buying a book of Medicare Advantage business. I don't know a lot about the book. What questions should I be asking?

Thanks

Last edited:
I'm looking to buy, not sell.

lol that was the question to ask...

here's a few off the top of my head:
average age?
what carriers are the clients in?
percentage of book each carrier makes up?
Will the seller help introduce you to the clients (ie: a mailer to the clients saying the book is being sold, and that you are a trusted source to take care of them?) Will the seller be available for a period of time after the sale to assist you with any service related questions or anything else?
Average length of time each client has been on current plans?
P/E ratio of the book?

lol that was the question to ask...

here's a few off the top of my head:
average age?
what carriers are the clients in?
percentage of book each carrier makes up?
Will the seller help introduce you to the clients (ie: a mailer to the clients saying the book is being sold, and that you are a trusted source to take care of them?) Will the seller be available for a period of time after the sale to assist you with any service related questions or anything else?
Average length of time each client has been on current plans?
P/E ratio of the book?

Thanks, there's some good questions there.
As far as the P/E ratio, is that cost of buying the book divided by the commissions?

Thanks, there's some good questions there.
As far as the P/E ratio, is that cost of buying the book divided by the commissions?

P/E = Price to earnings.

usually Medicare books are valued anywhere from 2-3 times annual revenue. A few factors will either make it closer to 3 times earnings, or closer to 2 times earnings. looks at things like start ratings, average age of clients length of clients been on the book etc... you may want to get a professional valuation before you buy it.

Back