Rate my producer compensation plan

Scottyp3

First time posting here and looking forward to being a part of the community.

We are a small P&C agency of 6 people. We have the owner, office manager, 2 CSR’s, a receptionist and myself. I have a 50/50 split for new business and renewal. I have no base salary and no benefits. I am coming up on completing my 4th full year at the agency and had no insurance experience prior to this.

The owner throws me some leads every once in a while but it’s mostly junk. However I’ve turned some of that junk into some large accounts. I service my whole book of business. I was told that once my book hit $1m I would have a CSR that would work under me 2 or 3 days a week.

Well I recently hit $1m and about 2 weeks ago the owner and office manager sat me down and said I would start to receive some help. The CSR’s will now start helping me with COI’s, payments, non-premium changing endorsements.

It’s only been a week or two, but I have noticed very little in regards to time being freed up so I can keep selling and growing my book. My whole day is consumed by renewals, inspections, reshops, audits etc. I barely have time to quote new business.

I was always under the belief that a 50/50 split on new and renewal was a great deal for me. However, lately I’ve been completely overwhelmed with my workload and feel like I’ve hit a plateau. I already work 55-60 hours a week and have a 1 year old at home.

Sorry for the long winded post! I look forward hearing your thoughts on my compensation plan.

Compensation isn't necessarily your problem. Support structure is. If you're not free to be the rainmaker that you need to be, then it doesn't matter how rich your compensation is... you won't be writing anything new to take full advantage of it. At least P&C has continuous income compared to life insurance and investments.

Here's an idea you may not necessarily like, but I think it's important: You may need a dedicated staff person of your own... but you (may) need to help to pay for that person's salary & benefits - to have "skin in the game".

When I was at a credit union broker/dealer, we had a monthly production grid for investment commissions (GDC). (I'm sure the numbers have changed since I was there 10 years ago):
$0 - $14,999 = 15%
$15k - $24,999 = 25%
$25k - $40,000 = 35%
$40k+ = 45%

To earn the right to have a full-time dedicated assistant, you had to generate $100,000 over a 3 month period. Once qualified, the quotas increased by 10% to help pay for that assistant:
$0 - $16,665 = 15%
$17k - $27,776 = 25%
$28k - $44,444 = 35%
$45k+ = 45%

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch. None of the numbers below $44k really mattered as the goal was to maximize revenues by having that assistant. A similar arrangement may need to be made in order to have "skin in the game" so you can continue to build your book of business.

I hope this helps some.

My gut says your renewals are too rich. If you want better CSR help, you're probably going to have to give up some.

Also, are you doing your part, are you actively asking the CSR to help, assigning "busy work" tasks that have to be done, but not necessarily by you?

You are paid well compared to my people. However I agree that you may need to give up some money to pay for a csr as good ones do not come cheap and they are worth every penny.

Ok thanks everyone! I always thought I was until I stumbled across this forum. I think I may have minunderstood a few of the other threads I had read. Back to the grind. Happy selling everyone!

Ok thanks everyone! I always thought I was until I stumbled across this forum. I think I may have minunderstood a few of the other threads I had read. Back to the grind. Happy selling everyone!

This forum is dominated by life agents, and final expense in particular. The commissions there are nowhere near the same as in home and auto. Plus they don't have the same overhead either. Their commissions are very much front loaded to be FYC with minimal renewals. Also the agency is not providing all the support you would receive: supplies, technology, E&O, CSRs, etc.

I also think your comp sounds good. If I'm providing service staff I'm paying closer to 25 on renewals.
60-65% is the territory of a true independent contractor who is taking care of most of their own expenses and all I'm providing is appointments and rater or something along those lines.

Back