Retiree's Losing Their Health Coverage

insurance0707

Guru
1000 Post Club
Michigan
I just spoke with a lady today who is being dropped from her group health plan....actually 2700 retirees are being dropped. They received a letter May 28th telling them they'd no longer have health coverage as of June 30th. They offered the employees coverage with a Humana MAPD plan or United Health Care/AARP Med supp plan. Those were the only choices offered to them. They have to pay their own premiums...no ones helping them with the premiums.

I'm a little upset because they have a 63 day period to join pretty much any MAPD plan or Med supp plan but they don't seem to be informed of this.

United Health Care/AARP is good as we all know at the younger ages, but some of these people are older.

I hate to see these people lose their 63 day period to enroll with whomever they want....how do these companies get away with this? Why would they just offer 2 companies?

I picked up a bunch of the AshGrove retirees this year. They did worse. They only brought Humana in with a horribly disigned PFFS plan.

What is the company if you don't mind.

Federal Mogul is the company dropping 2700 retirees. The lady I spoke with is 63 and her husband is 69. We're trying to figure out if she can get the 65% subsidy on Cobra. It's an automotive company, I'm hoping she can get the lower premiums and Cobra. We're looking at Mutual of Omaha/United of Omaha for the med supp

Two important points to take away from this great post-
1. How can we help these retirees, since they are completely cluesless as to what they need to do.
2. How can we profit from this? How do get a list of companies that are dropping health coverage to retirees? And how do we get a list of those affected retirees? Answer those questions, and it's off to the races. Anyone???

65% subsidy on Cobra.

If the group plan is being discontinued there is no COBRA. Even if she had a COBRA option the subsidy expired the end of may when congress failed to pass the jobs extension/COBRA subsidy.

Change you can believe in.

If the group plan is being discontinued there is no COBRA. Even if she had a COBRA option the subsidy expired the end of may when congress failed to pass the jobs extension/COBRA subsidy.

Change you can believe in.

That is the truth, it is definitely changing. (unfortunately)

Medicare resourceful website medicare information learn about medicare
Medicare Supplement Insurance Quotes - Compare Plans Online medicare supplement insurance medicare part d

American Seniors - Medicare Supplement Insurance Quotes medicare supplemental insurance medigap

Mutual of Omaha Gerber Medigap Aetna medicare, Sentinel Life , humana medicare insurance Blue Cross Blue Shield

www.nationalmedicaresupplements.com medicare supplement insurance www.americanseniors

Last edited:
It seems like I read they were going to extend it to December. I could be wrong. I would think they have to offer the people under 65 Cobra - they're still offering coverage to workers, jut not the retiree's

I just spoke to the woman, she talked to Federal Mogul and they will be offering her Cobra for 18 months. She thinks they'll also offer the subsidy. The law that didn't pass was for those wanting an extention of Cobra and the subsidy I beleive. I could be wrong

The company is free to offer a subsidy if they wish, but until the extension is approved it is not mandated by law. The expiration of the last extension meant no more subsidies for those on a COBRA subsidy beyond the current 15 months. It also meant those who qualify for COBRA from 6/1 forward are not eligible for a taxpayer subsidized benefit.

Back