Selling Insurance in different timezones as a side hustle?

(caveat, not an agent)

Ignoring the cost of leads, Wouldn't you have to buy pretty much the same other things to sell insurance, regardless of whether you were doing it full time or part time?

License, Continuing Education, E&O, Telephone system, computer stuff, phone recording software, website and so on?

(caveat, not an agent)

Ignoring the cost of leads, Wouldn't you have to buy pretty much the same other things to sell insurance, regardless of whether you were doing it full time or part time?

License, Continuing Education, E&O, Telephone system, computer stuff, phone recording software, website and so on?

Hey there, well as I mentioned in the first message. It wasnt super feasible to drop the 2k-5k on leads at the same time I am getting on my feet and dropping money into an apt and car. So I took a day job to get a little money coming in to stabalize and hoping to buy leads slowly and get a start during morning or evening hours. I am guessing the leads costs / software / and E&O insurance will still be an expense but maybe less painful if money is coming in at the same time. You know what I mean?

(caveat, not an agent)

Correct. But while his income will go down dramatically from working part time, none of his costs will.

Getting back to the original question

• Yes you can sell insurance part time, but its difficult to make it profitable this way.
  • Selling in different times zones would typically require more state licenses which will also cost more money.
  • Insurance production is far harder than most jobs. It takes years to get up and running and the vast majority of agents and agencies fail. [In fact this forum is filled with threads from new agents that fell dark.]
  • E&O expenses are very high when you start off.
  • Typically the best place to start is to learn on someone else's time and dime.
I wish you the best of luck. There is a solid amount of information already present on this forum, so you might consider perusing.

Thank you for the help I intend on looking through more

Correct. But while his income will go down dramatically from working part time, none of his costs will.

I think it can be done. But not with part-time effort. Needs to be a second full-time job working toward making it a career.

He is only 32. Not in the career he wants. Getting up at 3:45am doing a few hours then doing solid sales effort from 5-8:30, Paperwork and prep for the next day to 10 or 11. 4-5 days a week, All day Saturday and some on Sunday. It should be cake.

All IMohsoHO

I think it can be done. But not with part-time effort. Needs to be a second full-time job working toward making it a career.

He is only 32. Not in the career he wants. Getting up at 3:45am doing a few hours then doing solid sales effort from 5-8:30, Paperwork and prep for the next day to 10 or 11. 4-5 days a week, All day Saturday and some on Sunday. It should be cake.

All IMohsoHO

It's a lot of work, and hard to keep up that pace. He may be up for it.

By the way, what's up with the angry old guy circle jerk? I don't recall ever being invited.

Grumpy Douchey old guy here.

I also started in this business at age 32. It was rough back then.
It has absolutely never been easier to do this business.

@Questionguy87

Suggestion - Reboot, there is a lot of real-life knowledge here.

Edited

I understand and thanks/sorry for our miscommunication with one another. It is nice to hear you were at the same age when starting. I'm looking for other ways around this right now like getting a bartending job etc. to have days free but there is a little thing called COVID 19 happening right now which makes maneuvering around like this a little hard. So, doing the best I can with what I have in this moment

It's a lot of work, and hard to keep up that pace. He may be up for it.

By the way, what's up with the angry old guy circle jerk? I don't recall ever being invited.

Lol well, My thoughts were that it wasn't unrealistic to call 10-15 prospects in the mornings before work and also on weekends. Especially as I would be focusing on Medicare Supplements and the seniors are likely to be home. This might be a good way of starting I thought but also maybe farfetched? Me not knowing was the reason for asking the question.

You're getting beat up a little here, but that is expected considering no one wants to work with a part-time insurance agent (or doctor, attorney, financial planner, or any other "profession" which is how most of us view our business)...

That being said, you can start this business as a "part-time" agent. BUT, you'll need a few things:

1) Knowing what you're talking about...this is pretty important in any profession.

2) Access to leads. Buy them or find them, that's the biggest issue with an agent being successful. Having "high-intent buyers" means everything.

3) Being able to support yourself during "Ramen-time". You're going to have a few years of making no money in the insurance industry. Your other job may assist or hinder this effort.

4) The mental fortitude to know that your life is going to suck for several years. Once you get past your friends and family, you're going to have a tough time building your book unless you learn to artfully ask for referrals and can replicate that process.

Your road is not easy, but it can still be driven. Good luck in your pursuit. This business is awesome if you can make it the first few years.

Back