SEO for Insurance Websites

Yes, you are correct. A link from a site with a higher page rank is considered more important

It's also important to have the text that has named the link to be the search term you are wanting to rank for. In other words, if you just have yourwebsite.com as the link it wouldn't give Google what the link is really about. Where if you have 'ohio health insurance' as the clickable text it will give more weight to the link and credit your site as being more relevant for ohio health insurance.

Last regarding links from other sites, you want sites that have a 'do follow' tag on on their links. Many sites have a 'no follow' which means when the spiders are searching the web it won't follow the link and give it as much, or any, weight as a link. So basically you're practically wasting your time getting no follow links.

If you use Firefox you can get the 'no do follow' addon and just right click a page to see what links are no follow and what links are do follow to see if it's worth it to pust the link.

Yes, you are correct. A link from a site with a higher page rank is considered more important

It's also important to have the text that has named the link to be the search term you are wanting to rank for. In other words, if you just have yourwebsite.com as the link it wouldn't give Google what the link is really about. Where if you have 'ohio health insurance' as the clickable text it will give more weight to the link and credit your site as being more relevant for ohio health insurance.

Last regarding links from other sites, you want sites that have a 'do follow' tag on on their links. Many sites have a 'no follow' which means when the spiders are searching the web it won't follow the link and give it as much, or any, weight as a link. So basically you're practically wasting your time getting no follow links.

If you use Firefox you can get the 'no do follow' addon and just right click a page to see what links are no follow and what links are do follow to see if it's worth it to pust the link.

Seems you give great advice, Could we see some of your work or your sites that are ranking?

Anyone can quote out of a book, I would like for you to show us proof of these techniques.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Last edited:
Just for you...

<LI class=color>
pr9.gif
bloglines.com Blog Directory Free (registr.)
pr9.gif
freefind.com General directory Free
<LI class=color>
pr9.gif
ipl.org General directory Free Submit website
pr9.gif
newsgator.com Social Network Free (registr.)
<LI class=color>
pr9.gif
scirus.com Scientific Directory Free Submit website
pr9.gif
technorati.com Social Network Free (registr.)
<LI class=color>
pr8.gif
about.com Social Network Free (registr.)
pr8.gif
boingboing.net Directory of Wonderful Things Free Submit website
<LI class=color>
pr8.gif
bubl.ac.uk General Catalogue Free
pr8.gif
delicious.com Social Network Free (registr.)
<LI class=color>
pr8.gif
digg.com Social Network Free (registr.)
pr8.gif
dmoz.org General directory Free Submit website
<LI class=color>
pr8.gif
intute.ac.uk Education Directory Free
pr8.gif
lanic.utexas.edu Latin American Directory Free Submit website
<LI class=color>
pr8.gif
lii.org General directory Free Submit website
pr8.gif
reddit.com Social Network Free (registr.)
<LI class=color>
pr8.gif
sacentral.sa.gov.au South Australia Directory Free Submit website
pr8.gif
stumbleupon.com Social Network Free (registr.)
<LI class=color>
pr8.gif
thomasnet.com Industry's Companies Catalog Free (registr.) Submit website
<LI class=color>

Hey Chumps,

The only problem with a couple of these directories is that they use the "no follow" attribute, so your links won't count for anything (example: I know Delicious is no follow). I agree with what the other guy said, you should get the NoDoFollow add on for Firefox. It makes all "do follow" links blue, and all "no follow" links red. That way, before you spend time submitting your site, you can quickly look at someone else's profile/link and see if it is red or blue :)

Most geeks use Firefox when they develop for a reason.

As far as links go, .edu and .gov domains are the holy grail of inlinks. Doesn't matter what their power is. They are highly sought after.

Sorry, I don't know of any "easy" way without Firefox. I couldn't live without Firefox :) You should really consider getting it. There are a lot of SEO perks.

Firefox provides many SEO perks, but most of your customers are not using it or viewing your website with it, Trust me it does make a difference. (Cross-Browser Compatibility)

North America Market Share.
Sorry, I don't know of any "easy" way without Firefox. I couldn't live without Firefox :) You should really consider getting it. There are a lot of SEO perks.

Was just looking at your business site, Do you have any examples of your work? or ranking for sites you have done.

Last edited:
Firefox provides many SEO perks, but most of your customers are not using it or viewing your website with it, Trust me it does make a difference. (Cross-Browser Compatibility)

North America Market Share.

Was just looking at your business site, Do you have any examples of your work? or ranking for sites you have done.

Yep, I do. I don't want to post them here for client confidentiality reasons, but I'm PM you with a couple.

Oh, and I agree with you. I always check sites in Firefox and Explorer to see how they look (I'd check Safari too, but I hate Macs). I only use Firefox for myself and doing SEO.

Last edited:
I am working up a proposal to our board for a revamp of the website we use. None of them have any idea what SEO is and I am trying to get them interested in the revamp.

Is there a basic outline or information source I can use to brief them with a small nibble of SEO and then proceed with getting pricing bids for people to do it later? I hear a name of Dave Miller dropped on this site alot, but if I am unable to reach that person/company then I need some other avenues to get prcing from.

That was likely too much info for the post but oh well, I gab alot.

Back