Setting appointments

aufan

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
I need some ideas on how to do a better job setting appointments on the phone. My FMO provides telemarketed leads for people turning 65, and I do well closing when I am on the appointment. However, I need some improvement in getting the appointment. I know there are a lot of factors involved, but maybe there is something i'm missing when I try to set the appointment to see them?

One thing I thought may be better is just to assume they're going to see me. In other words, something like "Mr. Jones I'll be in your area on tuesday....are the mornings or afternoons better for you?"

I know it's not rocket science, but for some reason the phone has always been my nemesis. Any thoughts or ideas would be much appreciated.

I need some ideas on how to do a better job setting appointments on the phone. My FMO provides telemarketed leads for people turning 65, and I do well closing when I am on the appointment. However, I need some improvement in getting the appointment. I know there are a lot of factors involved, but maybe there is something i'm missing when I try to set the appointment to see them?

One thing I thought may be better is just to assume they're going to see me. In other words, something like "Mr. Jones I'll be in your area on tuesday....are the mornings or afternoons better for you?"

I know it's not rocket science, but for some reason the phone has always been my nemesis. Any thoughts or ideas would be much appreciated.

What are you saying now to get an appointment?

Something like this:

"Good morning/afternoon...may I speak with Mr. Jones? Mr. Jones, this is (my name) from (city/st). I am a local agent calling on behalf of (FMO). I understand you talked with (marketer) on (date) and he/she said that someone would be contacting you regarding your medicare supplement. I am going to be in your area on tuesday and would like to come by and tell you about our plans. Are mornings or afternoons better for you?"

One thing I thought may be better is just to assume they're going to see me. In other words, something like "Mr. Jones I'll be in your area on tuesday....are the mornings or afternoons better for you?
Something like this:

"Good morning/afternoon...may I speak with Mr. Jones? Mr. Jones, this is (my name) from (city/st). I am a local agent calling on behalf of (FMO). I understand you talked with (marketer) on (date) and he/she said that someone would be contacting you regarding your medicare supplement. I am going to be in your area on tuesday and would like to come by and tell you about our plans. Are mornings or afternoons better for you?"

You originally said that the last line in bold is something you'd like to implement, but I asked you what you're currently saying. Did I miss something?

Here's a modified version.

"Is Mr. Jones available please? This is (my name) and I'm calling on behalf of (FMO). Did I catch you at a bad time? (show respect and be courteous). The reason for my call is to follow up with you about the conversation you and (marketer-Jennifer in this case-ALWAYS use the name to personalize things) had on (date) pertaining to (insert lead topic here). Jennifer mentioned that you're interested in (reducing your XXXXX, saving money on XXXX, pissed of at your current agent/ carrier, whatever you got use it here.) and I'd appreciate it if you would tell me more about that... What are you currently doing about XXXX?

Then shut up and pay attention, take notes and close with the following.

"I have everything I need, but I'm not sure at this point if I can help you out or not about (insert issue from above here). Would you mind if I ran a risk-free inquiry to find out about your options? Great, If I can help you with XXXXXXXXX what will you do?"

Pin them down in a polite way.

"If you're in the green, say this, "When would be a good time within the next couple of days where we could spend 20 or so minutes to go over the information in detail so you know what's available? If for any reason you cannot make the appointment I'd appreciate it if you would let me know and I'll do the same. Do you have something to write with?"

You get the point.

Immediately send an e-mail as a friendly reminder about the appointment.

If you can book the appointment do it. If not, be honest and say so and find something that accommodates both your schedule.

The I'll be in your area is so old and I would not recommend you use it because take a guess about who used it before you? That's right, the person you're trying to see.

I've personally gotten my ass handed to me more times than I can count using that line UNTIL I realized something and told the prospect the "reason" why I'm in the area.

If I'm legitimately going to be in the area I will use it, but that is a rarity.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
You originally said that the last line in bold is something you'd like to implement, but I asked you what you're currently saying. Did I miss something?

Here's a modified version.

"Is Mr. Jones available please? This is (my name) and I'm calling on behalf of (FMO). Did I catch you at a bad time? (show respect and be courteous). The reason for my call is to follow up with you about the conversation you and (marketer-Jennifer in this case-ALWAYS use the name to personalize things) had on (date) pertaining to (insert lead topic here). Jennifer mentioned that you're interested in (reducing your XXXXX, saving money on XXXX, pissed of at your current agent/ carrier, whatever you got use it here.) and I'd appreciate it if you would tell me more about that... What are you currently doing about XXXX?

Then shut up and pay attention, take notes and close with the following.

"I have everything I need, but I'm not sure at this point if I can help you out or not about (insert issue from above here). Would you mind if I ran a risk-free inquiry to find out about your options? Great, If I can help you with XXXXXXXXX what will you do?"

Pin them down in a polite way.

"If you're in the green, say this, "When would be a good time within the next couple of days where we could spend 20 or so minutes to go over the information in detail so you know what's available? If for any reason you cannot make the appointment I'd appreciate it if you would let me know and I'll do the same. Do you have something to write with?"

You get the point.

Immediately send an e-mail as a friendly reminder about the appointment.

If you can book the appointment do it. If not, be honest and say so and find something that accommodates both your schedule.

The I'll be in your area is so old and I would not recommend you use it because take a guess about who used it before you? That's right, the person you're trying to see.

I've personally gotten my ass handed to me more times than I can count using that line UNTIL I realized something and told the prospect the "reason" why I'm in the area.

If I'm legitimately going to be in the area I will use it, but that is a rarity.

Hope this helps.
Salpro, I really like this script and I would like your permission to share it with my agents (crediting you of course). I will happily put in any information you like as to the source, so if that is all right with you, please pm me with how you want to be cited. Many thanks.

Back