Sicko the movie

How will Sicko the movie effect the health insurance industry.

• Not at all

Votes: 8 40.0%
  • A lot

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Somewhat

Votes: 8 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
al, i was close to gov't... well, i think i was.... is public office holder close enough??? well i hope... YOU ARE WRONG!!!! govt programs all flawed power grabs

Well, Medicare is one of the largest government run health care programs in the world and is also a sacred cow for conservatives. Are you in favor of scrapping that?

Winter

I just watched the movie and must admit that it has changed my mind about universal healthcare. It dispelled a lot of myths I had. Obviously a for-profit system such as ours means the goal is profit, not patient care.

I don't quite see the picture as bleak as Moore - my family has filed many very large claims - two cancer survivors in my family and all claims have been paid like clockwork. One of my best friends has non-Hodgkins lymphoma and has been treated for 2 years now - flawlessly.

However, for our country to not as least have blanket safety net coverage for all citizens is an embarrassment and a statement as to the corporate greed and control over this country. We have lawmakers with free coverage taking money from lobbyists making decisions for people without coverage.

Maybe we flip it. Maybe the members of the house and senate get no healthcare and have to qualify and pay for it like the individual sector. I wonder how Kennedy would be underwritten?

It's tough for us to really care about things that don't affect us directly.

John, I am with you.

Here is what I think the government should do...

Fund the high risk state pools to make coverage affordable. Right now, they have the option for coverage, but it is expensive. Fund it more in the efforts to reduce costs.

That will take care of the people who cannot qualify. No need to spend $5 million to design a new system when one is in place.

For those who qualify but either cannot afford or choose not to elect coverage, then have a government catastrophic plan. They need a plan that will cover the big stuff. They want major medical. Cover the need, not the want. There are already free clinics for doctor visits. There are programs for meds.

The root of the problem is the ignorance of people. I do not have health care, but I have cable TV and internet. That is crap. They obviously do not have their priorities straight, but they want "free" health care. No one will say this in office since that would end their career.

Entitlement is killing America. Entitlement is what you make for yourself, not what you think is expected.

It's not just entitlement that's the issue. It's the person who wants and it willing to pay for coverage but gets declined. It's also about policies being rescinded, pre-ex conditions being excluded and the game of rate increases forcing people to cancel coverage. The healthy move to another carrier for a better rate - the unhealthy are screwed.

I'm for a base system where everyone in the country has basic coverage - meaning no one can be denied medical care, no claims can be reviewed or denied and no care can be pre-authorized or denied.

If we want an overlapping system of private insurance that's fine but in this country no one should be denied medical treatment. Yes, we have the smoker drinking a six pack a day who just bought the new Ford F-150 and big screen TV. But we also have that lady who got laid off, can't afford Cobra and has diabetes.

I'm willing to give the smoking six pack a day guy free coverage so the diabetic lady doesn't have to worry. It's give and take. I'm willing to have my tax dollars to go to welfare programs so 22 year old girls can have their 3rd kid and not work....I just don't want to see her and her kids living in the street.

I think we need to stop being bitter about people we deem are doing nothing yet getting taken care of. Yes, my money goes to that 22 year old on welfare but she didn't just get back from a nice trip at DisneyWord - I did. I would not trade my life for hers so I have nothing to be bitter about.

Last edited:
30 million people without health insurance

Approximately half of those qualify for taxpayer funded health care but have failed to take advantage of a system put in place to cover them.

The question is thins. can the government do a better job running health care than private companies? Can they do it for less and do a better job? I'll say no they can not do so. The best way to see what kind of job they can do is to look at other nations that have national health care. Look to Canada or the UK. What has happened there? Well the people with more money still have their own insurance. The poor and lower middle class have government insurance. What you'll end up doing is making the lower middle class go on government health insurance from hidden taxes.

I have never saw many goverment programs that were ran effective or efficient. This makes me think national health care would be more of the same. Many taking advantage of the system and abusing the system. Goverment doing a very poor job of running the system. The system ending up being worse than it is now at a much higher cost to the tax payers.

the government should do...

Fund the high risk state pools

The government has no money.

then have a government catastrophic plan.

The people don't want cat cover, they want everything covered.

Medicare is cat cover and everyone complains because they have to pay premiums, they have to buy supplemental coverage, and they STILL have OOP costs.

Back