So How Many Calls a Day Should I Make?

Do it until your fingers bleed, or get an auto dialer.

VERY interesting article about a young Merrill Lynch broker who spends 30 hours a week on the phone, making 250 to 400 cold calls a day. Really? Is that even possible?

So my question to this forum is: how many do you make a day? What are your ratios to dials/appointments/sales? To be frank, my manager thinks that if I do 50 dials a day, then I'll be very successful.

Input please![/quote]
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What are you sniffing ? online yellow pages are free last tine I checked. Sell me some Ice Cubes, they are valuable here in Alaska.

It's more of the industry term. I agree with you to some degree, but if you visit salesgenie.com or look at a variety if list vendors, you'll see them refer to them as leads. If you visit my site for info about the offer I make it pretty clear what it's is to avoid any confusion.

That all being said "500 leads" does fit in the signature better than "500 targeted phone records to match the demographics of the clients you'd like to reach and that are scrubbed against the DNC list so you can legally call them".
If your Phone Skills stink, you can make unlimited calls and get a big "Goose Egg. Read some sales books. Tell your manager to call 50. If he gets 1 sale, then you will call. Otherwise, put you feet up on you desk and say, "Im waiting, where is you proof".

Do it until your fingers bleed, or get an auto dialer.

VERY interesting article about a young Merrill Lynch broker who spends 30 hours a week on the phone, making 250 to 400 cold calls a day. Really? Is that even possible?

So my question to this forum is: how many do you make a day? What are your ratios to dials/appointments/sales? To be frank, my manager thinks that if I do 50 dials a day, then I'll be very successful.

Input please!
What are you sniffing ? online yellow pages are free last tine I checked. Sell me some Ice Cubes, they are valuable here in Alaska.[/quote]
I like the word, "sucker".:twitchy:
oh..i was thinking a 'lead' as something more than just a list of names. guess lead sounds better from a marketing perspective.
I wouldnt make any. My product is so good, people call me.;)
Let's see. Went out today. Made one call. Set an appointment for Thursday morning. Came home.. So in answer to your question, you should make at least one call. Just in case that is not enough, I might make a phone call to a fellow tonight to try to set an appointment for Friday. :laugh:
Speak for yourself. My close rate is quadruple. I dont take no for an answer. Thats why I close baby.:skeptical:

200 a day
with a result of 6-10 solid leads/appointments

Or hire someone to do it for ya :)

Good luck! That's 190-194 no's lol.
Where is your market located. I love to tap small, warm things.If its fuzzy, even better.
:cool:

I'm fairly new to the life insurance field although I did have success prospecting and selling voluntary benefits. Yes, I'm tapping my small warm market but my main emphasis is on exit strategies, DI and retirement planning for small companies. Therefore, I'm doing plenty of cold calling. But how much is enough?

Read it here:

Input please!
Not for me, Im constipated so I call from the ---- HOUSE.:yes:

For every 100 calls you will set 8.37 appointments and make 3.29 sales. :goofy:

Read Wino's post again.

Calling/using the phone is a learned, well practiced art. It just doesn't come naturally.

There are way too many variables from one agent to another to give a number. Does the agent know how to maintain control of the call and not let the prospect take control? Does he know the specific words to use to elicit the response he's looking for? Can he smoothly transition the phone call to a relaxed conversation? The weather can play an important part in the degree of success on any given day.

Pick up the phone, put your finger in the hole and turn the wheel. Keep turning the wheel until you get the results you are looking for. Selling insurance is work, it isn't for the person who only wants to work from 9-11 and 2-4.

If an agent can't call for an extended period of time then this may not be the best occupation for him. Eighty percent of this job is prospecting, only 20% is the fun part of writing apps and getting paid. This is a prospecting job not a selling job.

When starting out one should think in terms of ten hour days with 9.75 of those hours doing nothing but insurance related tasks. (Fifteen minutes a day is more than adequate time to go to the bathroom. :D)

Successful agents are those who will do what others won't.

Last edited:
50. What are you in Kindergarten. Go buy some gumballs with your nickles.
4F4
. By the way, thats what 50 calls get you, a pile of dung with flies.:twitchy:

That's one of the reasons I would never be a stock broker.

50 isn't enough per day when you are just getting started, if that is your primary marketing approach.

That's one of the reasons why it's nice to diversify your approach. Can you really stay sane for long making 100 cold calls per day?

I think 50 is a good number as long as you are staying busy and productive during the remaining hours of the week.

I agree that you have to make a lot of calls, but make sure you spend time doing other marketing activities during your breaks to avoid burn out. And try to be laid back in your approach.. no one likes to talk with someone nervous or aggressive!

A lot of these discussions seem to focus on quantity not quality. As well as the volume of calls, you need to work on how to keep energy levels up and enthusiasm day after day. I've found that callers sometimes struggle with the balance on this (in that they hit the metrics but forget that it's not about hitting numbers for numbers sake, the energy levels and quality of conversations matter)

True. The motivation to constantly dial comes from within. If you can't/don't want to do it, hire someone who can.

If you have your own team--playing some good tunes definitely helps.

I'm fairly new to the life insurance field although I did have success prospecting and selling voluntary benefits. Yes, I'm tapping my small warm market but my main emphasis is on exit strategies, DI and retirement planning for small companies. Therefore, I'm doing plenty of cold calling. But how much is enough?

Read it here: Cold Calling Is Back

Input please!

I highly recommend breaking up your day into 3 (2 hour call blocks) It is very difficult to cold call for 8 straight hours. It doesn't matter how good you are or how much of a hard worker you are.

In those call blocks make sure you put your phone on DND, shut your door and just make outbound calls with no interruption.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

The 250-400 calls is possible - but it's a beast!! When you don't have money for leads, TMs, etc, it's one way to plow thru and get results...fact is, nobody wants to do that.

Staying in business is about staying in front of new clients. If you have funds to invest in your business use good direct mail leads and a off-shore caller with a mojo setup. If you poor and need more customers just dial using one finger, and if that finger gets bloody use the next.

Important point many many folks and family want to hear how you make so much money in Insurance, and not a soul on the planet earth wants to hear why you are failing!

:cool: mckinney!

I too am new to this business and I am just coming back from Combined's Sales school.... Anyone familiar with the value of the system I will be using? They are lead cards with old and new business on them so you have names to refer to that currently do have policies as well as business cold calls.
Any suggestions how one can best use this type of lead?? Thanks

This really depends on how long you talk to the person you're trying to sell and how many people don't pick up. Naturally, you'll be making more calls if they don't pick up vs someone who picks up and even talks to you for 30 sec. On average I make about 350 calls per day in an 8 hour day. If it's a really bad day and no one picks up, then I can make about 400-450 calls per day.

Back