So How Many Calls a Day Should I Make?

Most agents don't like the phone because they don't have a well thought out plan and they really are and sound uncomfortable using the phone. They pretty much just "wing it".

With a well thought out telephone presentation the agent is a lot more successful. I'm pretty successful using the phone but there was a fairly steep learning curve at first. I still don't look forward to it but it is a whole lot easier and productive than when I first started.

Frank is so on target here! After you get your plan down, and how to present it (it's not so much what you say, as it is HOW you say it), you'll find yourself just having a conversation, not really trying to sell something.

For instance, maybe you've gotten some interest from a potential clinet about their med supp and you've gotten to the part that you need some information from them to see if you can help.

You could say, "Now Ms. Smith, how much are you paying for that each month?"

Or, you could say, "Now Ms. Smith, if you don't mind my asking, about how much are you having to pay for that each month?

Same question in essence, but which one will get you the answer you seek faster and more often than the other?

Frank, how much would you charge me to train my agents how to give good phone? I'll pay you in goat's cheese pizza! ;)

Frank, how much would you charge me to train my agents how to give good phone? I'll pay you in goat's cheese pizza! ;)

You are going to have to do better than that. I raise goats, how about Yak cheese pizza.

The way the agent asks and the words used are incredibly important. Your suggestions are great. I usually say, "May I ask how much you are paying".

By saying "Mai I ask" I'm really asking permission to ask. It goes over so much better than saying "What are you paying for that". That will cause them to pause and the first thing that goes through their mind is "Why is he asking? That is confidential information".

Is that 50 calls or contacts where you have either gotten a yes or no answer.

No, that's 50 DIALS. The one thing I was taught is that the only thing we can control is our ACTIVITY. So if the goal is to do 50 dials, then make those dials and you're done. If you want. After all, I can't control if the owner is in, if I can get past the gatekeeper, if he says Yes, etc.

Still, perhaps that's letting myself off too easy. If my ULTIMATE goal is to run 10 in-person appointments a week, then perhaps it makes sense to say "Forget 50 dials. I'll stay here until I set two appointments whether it takes 50 or 100 dials."

I'm thinking I should be gunning for RESULTS from my activity in addition to an "activity goal."

Has anybody read this new Nick Murray book about prospecting, "The Game of Numbers?"

I posted the link to the book because I'm sure that the book would be a great expansion on his chapters on prospecting in The Excellent Investment Advisor (out of print). Those chapters are truly fantastic!

Remember that Activity is the only predictable element in an unpredictable business.

"Game of Numbers" is the newest book by Nick Murray and is one of the best books on prospecting ever written.

Its written primarily for financial advisors, but the principles apply to anyone in sales.

One of the most important lines in the book says that our business is not insurance or investments or services or any product. "Prospecting is our business."

For anyone getting started in sales this book is a must read, and then there are many of us rebooting our book of business and also those who have been in a comfort zone and suddenly come up with all sorts of reasons not to lift the phone.

My own opinion is that this is why there are so many lead companies, because agents hope to shortcut the process and hope that the lead card will be an automatic sale - when they never are.

For the higher level sales, such as with investments, he has some pretty good scripts that really disturb prospects so that they want to work with you.

But as mentioned above, the secret is that we have to look for the 'no,' we have to qualify hard and not just take any appointment, and we must realize that almost everyone will say no to us.

Almost everyone.

This can be hard one as it can be harder than anticipated as to what the allowance should be. My advice to you is to do as many as you can possibly do.

Back