Stephens-Matthews Marketing

I've done business with SMM for years with no complaints. I live 20 min. from their office and personally know Dave and Larry. They have always been good honest guys to do business with.

Yes...they have held a lot of commissions from me- I have retained an attorney- is there anyone that has been successful in recouping $?

Last edited:
I started in the business working in a call center that wrote through Stephens and Mathews. We had 30 reps on the phone, not a single licensed rep in the building. Wrote all business under a name of a person none of us had ever heard of. I was trying to find a place to learn the business and quickly realized that the call center was shady and left.

S&M always paid us reliably, but they had no problem with the way the call center was set up or doing business.

I don't think that this reflects on S&M how they do business, just that they don't seem to care how there agencies conduct business.

Yes, it is and has been reported to the DOI. Now they operate under a different name and our selling life insurance.

Wow, you started there unlicensed, glad you left, after how long? You said quickly but it couldn't have been too short a time since you stated that they always paid you reliably.

My point is, why the need to bring up that "they had no problem with the way the call center was set up or doing business" which may be your opinion but seems stated as fact?

Can you prove this? That at the highest level, Dave & Larry knew about this and had no problem with it?

And seriously, you can't say that SMM is the only large agency that cannot police every single GA/agent in its down line? As anything grows large enough, that's difficult.

Example: I have a guy who I hired to recruit agents for me, worked for another GA, then came to me, turns out I fired him for insubordination and lo and behold, he's back at that original GA. Does the owner know what they're getting into? Maybe yes, maybe no, but either way it could appear that they don't care how he does business right?

Lastly,
you don't want to even remotely imply that SMM was reported to the DOI so that should have been made crystal clear. The agency who is now doing life insurance was reported for their behavior, not SMM, correct?

I started in the business working in a call center that wrote through Stephens and Mathews. We had 30 reps on the phone, not a single licensed rep in the building. Wrote all business under a name of a person none of us had ever heard of. I was trying to find a place to learn the business and quickly realized that the call center was shady and left.

S&M always paid us reliably, but they had no problem with the way the call center was set up or doing business.

I don't think that this reflects on S&M how they do business, just that they don't seem to care how there agencies conduct business.

Rob; question - if one of your agents started turning in 30 apps a day would you be a bit suspicious? There's a difference between knowing something is amiss but covering your ears and actively investigating something that smells wrong.

company Cadillac!

Nice ride!

Cadillac_Eldorado_Fleetwood_Black_1967.jpg

I had always heard pretty good things about them. Are you claiming you were unlicensed and received comp directly from S-M as a commission for your phone sales? I would find that hard to believe.

Back