Strategy for Beginning A Career

Not all MLM are as bad as theyre made out to be.
Wherever you go, itll all depend on how well they train you and how transparent they are with you.

I have twenty years sales experience. I have never given Insurance a try because the startup has never been finanically feasible for me. I require 80k plus just to make ends meet. That is a bare minimum. At this point, I would like to form a relationship with a company that will guide me through the licensing process and provide me with the support I need to establish myself. This would initially have to be on a part time basis, for reasons cited above. I would have to start at ground zero in terms of licensing, product knowledge, etc. My preference would be to focus on life and annuity products. The objective would be to gradually transition into full time. What would you do to establish yourself? Is it true that I must actually be affiliated with a company to begin the licensing process? Would you recommend that I consider specific companies? I live in Florida. Thank you for any assistance or advice you may be able to provide.

I would suggest you find a Couple local agencies and "door knock " them or phone them . Get an appointment and tell them what you are trying to do . Pick the agency you like best and See if you can get some hands on training with an experienced agent or two.

You may have to settle for a lower comp but it's worth it in the long run if your training is good. That way you can work your way out of a captive agency and into an independent position ... If you can sell and if that's what you want .

I would suggest you find a Couple local agencies and "door knock " them or phone them . Get an appointment and tell them what you are trying to do . Pick the agency you like best and See if you can get some hands on training with an experienced agent or two.

You may have to settle for a lower comp but it's worth it in the long run if your training is good. That way you can work your way out of a captive agency and into an independent position ... If you can sell and if that's what you want .

So your suggesting that I propose sort of an apprenticeship arrangement with a local independent agency. That sounds like an amazing idea!

I know that there is a lot of people here that would disagree with me, but starting out part time is planning to fail. If you have a "plan B" you are less likely to succeed because you are not giving the business 100% of your focus.

I know that there is a lot of people here that would disagree with me, but starting out part time is planning to fail. If you have a "plan B" you are less likely to succeed because you are not giving the business 100% of your focus.

There are a lot of successful agents right here on the forum that sold insurance part-time and went on to become very successful in the business. Rearden is one that comes to mind..

There are a lot of successful agents right here on the forum that sold insurance part-time and went on to become very successful in the business. Rearden is one that comes to mind..

Like I said, "I know that there is a lot of people here that would disagree with me"...

Ok, got it. What companies fit the following profile;

1. Sold products
2. Good pay structure
3. Good training accessible on flex time
4. Maybe some decent mentoring with regards to marketing or prospecting.
4. Will allow me to break into the business on a part time basis.

So what company's fit. I need specific company names if anyone has that type of info, I would greatly appreciate it.

I'm committed to transitioning into full time, once I see the big picture and the light goes on. The objective is not extra money. The objective is a career transition.

Your standards are quite high which is understandable. My concern would be 2 fold: First, you are only willing to start part time and second, should you find that company, at part time how many years would it take for you to reach that $80K minimum threshold in order to pursue your career full time? (Just some food for thought).

Your standards are quite high which is understandable. My concern would be 2 fold: First, you are only willing to start part time and second, should you find that company, at part time how many years would it take for you to reach that $80K minimum threshold in order to pursue your career full time? (Just some food for thought).

Thank you.

I won't wait until 80k is guaranteed. I will wait until I have a respectable product knowledge, know my target market and preferred product niche, and have a sense of my marketing strategy. At that point, I will be willing to go 100%, as long as it seems financially doable

The 80k is what I am accustomed to. I am willing to sacrifice. I just can't fall into that 30 or 40k territory that a lot of newer agents fall into.

As for the earnings on a part time basis, I'm really not too concerned about that. I would simply like access, instruction and flexibility. I might be ammenable to doing that for free, as long as it gave me exposure to those who had succeeded. I might actually be of some service to them.

----------

I impressed and grateful that you seasoned professionals would take the time to try and assist someone who obviously knows very little about your business. I really ready do appreciate

I'm a very analytical type. Ultimately I am a risk taker. But I am also a planner. I tend to go through a feeling out period as a confidence builder. I do understand that there are no guarantees, and that there is a time when 100% commitment is called for, if one is to succeed any business. And I know that the barriers to entry in your business often take the form of long hours and financial sacrifice.

I had great respect and love for my father who was in your business for 30 years. So in that sense, even though it was some time ago, I feel a certain kinship with people in insurance.

Thank you again.

Last edited:
Back