T65 Early Enrollment Limits, Not Drawing SS Income

I don't believe so. Considering his Medicare will start January 1st, I don't think he'll be able to enroll in a 2016 plan until 10/15. Technically he should be able to do it 10/1, but I'm sure the carrier and Medicare would have an aneurysm trying to figure it out.

I have never been wrong before so I am not sure how to respond. Should I say thank you or fork you? :twitchy:

I don't believe so. Considering his Medicare will start January 1st, I don't think he'll be able to enroll in a 2016 plan until 10/15. Technically he should be able to do it 10/1, but I'm sure the carrier and Medicare would have an aneurysm trying to figure it out.
This has been my experience. Though a 1/1 eligible has a 10/1 start to IEP, carriers usually don't take applications for a 1/1 start until AEP begins. Too confusing for the seasonal help to know the difference, I suppose.

T65 can sign up for supplement 6 months ahead, so you can sign his plan up for a Plan F or G or N or whatever 7-1-15. Tell him to make an appt with SS in September. Sign him up for a PDP as soon as he can 10-1-15, by then you can see the 2016 plans on medicare.gov

Not all Med Supp carriers will allow an app 6 months out. The majority of carriers I've used will only allow an app 3 months in advance.

And while you'll be able to see 2016 PDP plans on 10/1, getting a carrier to allow a person to enroll for the 2016 plan on 10/1, May be a challenge. I can just see them screwing it up. If it were me, I'd tell the client to wait until 10/15 or after to do both apps.

As for enrolling in Medicare A & B, there's no need to make an appointment with SS. You can submit an application online in about 5 minutes.

The way to get him signed up on 10-1-15 for 1-1-16 effective is IEP, medicare knows the difference between AEP and IEP. The carriers do too. Keep a copy of the app though.

Not all Med Supp carriers will allow an app 6 months out. The majority of carriers I've used will only allow an app 3 months in advance. And while you'll be able to see 2016 PDP plans on 10/1, getting a carrier to allow a person to enroll for the 2016 plan on 10/1, May be a challenge. I can just see them screwing it up. If it were me, I'd tell the client to wait until 10/15 or after to do both apps. As for enrolling in Medicare A & B, there's no need to make an appointment with SS. You can submit an application online in about 5 minutes.

Which carriers don't allow 6 month out OE for med supp?

The way to get him signed up on 10-1-15 for 1-1-16 effective is IEP, medicare knows the difference between AEP and IEP. The carriers do too. Keep a copy of the app though.

I think we all know the difference between IEP and AEP. And in theory it should work. Unfortunately people working at carriers don't always get it right. And considering the timing of it, I'd just wait until 10/15. But that's just me.

If you get too far out you run the risk of losing them. Just because they "bought" doesn't mean they stopped looking. They are still getting calls, email (if they go online) and stuff in the mail right up to and even after the month they turn 65.

I have written some where they told me they bought last month. "Oh, well you were just on my site. Are you unsure about your choice?"

That is usually followed by "Which plan did you buy?"

"Really?"

"Are you paying more than this?"

Of course if they bought MOFO plan G then I will give them a rate for N and ask if they had considered saving another $25/mo by paying a copay.

Which carriers don't allow 6 month out OE for med supp?

Pretty sure New Era will only go 90 days (at least it was that way at one time), the AARP branded Med Supp will only go 90 days and the same with BCBS.

MoO will go 6 months. I don't recall what CLI was, but I never tried to write one 6 months out.

That's all I can think of right now off the top of my head.

Latest posts

Back