There was a guy like that in 2012 and he was an evil person according to Democrats. Many on both sides like to say they just want a moderate (whether that candidate leans a little left or right), but when given the opportunity they just continue to vote for “their” party. Again, both sides are guilty of this.

I mean, just to be honest, they both demonize each other. Romney wasn't/isn't a bad guy. Ryan wasn't a great guy.

I mean, just to be honest, they both demonize each other. Romney wasn't/isn't a bad guy. Ryan wasn't a great guy.

I agree and said as much regarding demonizing each other.

As far as Ryan not being a "great guy". My brother in law is a Secret Service Agent and was on Ryan's detail. He may have a different opinion of the man than you do. At least on a personal level (not speaking of politics here). He was kind to everyone he met. But I can see why you may not think he's a great guy. I mean the left portrayed him pushing grandma in a wheelchair off a cliff.

When people tell me they just want a moderate, they really don't mean they want one from the other party. Most people who identify as a D or R don't cross lines to vote. Even if they aren't a fan of "their" candidate, they can't bring themselves to vote for the person on the other side. By all objective measures, the majority of both sides have moved left. There are extremes on both sides, but the majority of the right has moved closer to the middle (than they were) on a lot of issues and the majority of the left have moved further away from the middle. Other than tax issues and maybe some social issues, Romney of today would likely fit more in the Democrat party of 30-40 years ago. Now he seems almost radical to some on the left.

Sinema and Manchin are good examples of moderates in the Democrat party. They are being eviscerated by many on the left. When people say they want moderates, most are just giving lip service in my opinion.

Sinema and Manchin are good examples of moderates in the Democrat party. They are being eviscerated by many on the left. When people say they want moderates, most are just giving lip service in my opinion.

A few years ago they would be considered "blue dog" Democrats.

I follow politics more than I used to but am not really a political historian. It seems as if the partisan politics kicked up a few notches under Clinton (Bill not Hillary . . .) and has only become more divisive and combative since then.

Reagan and Tip O'Neil rarely agreed but were able to work things out. Since then, not so much. So much of the rhetoric from the Executive branch has only served to stir the pot along with a lot of help from the lame stream media.

OMG the island will tip over and capsize WOW

Wait, do people outside of Georgia not know about this? That was like 10 years ago and he continues to be re-elected. He'll likely stay in office until he dies or decides to retire.

I agree and said as much regarding demonizing each other.

As far as Ryan not being a "great guy". My brother in law is a Secret Service Agent and was on Ryan's detail. He may have a different opinion of the man than you do. At least on a personal level (not speaking of politics here). He was kind to everyone he met. But I can see why you may not think he's a great guy. I mean the left portrayed him pushing grandma in a wheelchair off a cliff.

When people tell me they just want a moderate, they really don't mean they want one from the other party. Most people who identify as a D or R don't cross lines to vote. Even if they aren't a fan of "their" candidate, they can't bring themselves to vote for the person on the other side. By all objective measures, the majority of both sides have moved left. There are extremes on both sides, but the majority of the right has moved closer to the middle (than they were) on a lot of issues and the majority of the left have moved further away from the middle. Other than tax issues and maybe some social issues, Romney of today would likely fit more in the Democrat party of 30-40 years ago. Now he seems almost radical to some on the left.

So a few things:

1) The only thing you're essentially saying is Democrats this, democrats that.. with a sprinkle of "both sides."

Bro, literally anyone that isn't cow-toeing to Trump is being dragged right now. It's not just Democrats.

You're losing me because you're veiled in playing the blame game.

2) I don't know Paul Ryan personally. I wouldn't speak of him in a personal manner as a "bad guy" because I'm not an asshole.

Politically, he wasn't a great guy, imo.

Everything else, see point 1

Your comments 100% lend to why politics are so divisive.

You only give lip service to your own party's trash. "Both sides ::eyeroll:: own your own stuff first.

I'm speaking as an Independent. I tend to vote along Democrat lines because, at least in the last few cycles I was voting, I didn't think the Republican candidate was the best choice, objectively.

PS: Intentially or not, you basically implied that I'm just saying that I'd vote for a Republican Moderate just to say it. You should really check yourself. It makes you look like a dick.

Last edited:
So a few things:

1) The only thing you're essentially saying is Democrats this, democrats that.. with a sprinkle of "both sides."

Bro, literally anyone that isn't cow-toeing to Trump is being dragged right now. It's not just Democrats.

2) I don't know Paul Ryan personally. I wouldn't speak of him in a personal manner as a "bad guy" because I'm not an asshole.

You only give lip service to your own party's trash. "Both sides ::eyeroll:: own your own stuff first.

I'm speaking as an Independent. I tend to vote along Democrat lines because, at least in the last few cycles I was voting, I didn't think the Republican candidate was the best choice, objectively.

PS: Intentially or not, you basically implied that I'm just saying that I'd vote for a Republican Moderate just to say it. You should really check yourself. It makes you look like a dick.

Sure thing Travis. Thanks for making it personal. This is the point where it’s useless to have a conversation with someone.

So a few things:

Just curious. From your end, what are some of the ways Repubs have gone hard right that moderates like you aren't fond of?

Back