The customer is always right.

I'm green as can be with health insurance. I've sold one policy so far...to me and my wife.

We bought HSAs with $5,000 deductible. I can't imagine why anyone who is putting any money back for retirement (beyond what their company matches in their IRA) wouldn't fund their HSA. Tax-free going in. Tax-free growth. Tax-free comming out if it's spent on health care anytime during the rest of your life. Taxed just like regular retirement accounts if you pull it out after retirement and spend it on non-healthcare.

Like I said I'm green but I do have that right don't I? If I was selling health plans for a living, one of the first questions I would ask is, "Are you putting any money back for retirement?"

I can only reiterate, the specific situation rules.
If an HSA fits, sell it, if not, don't

Well, for new agents - if you're selling any particular product 95% of the time you're not matching the product to your client's needs - your shoving your personal views down their throat.

I agree with you boys..... As a broker I have commited to offer pert near every product cause u never know what curve ball u may be thrown... lets see, over the last 3 months i have written... Unicare Co-pay and HSA, Aetna Co-pay, Golden Rule HSA, World Co-Pay, Humana Co-pay and HSA, and BC/BS co-pay, HSA and Ded first plans...

Now American Comunity just got to Texas and even though their rates and bennies dont realy fit the market due to price I will still be contracting direct just to say I have it

This not-so-veiled thread seems to be directed to me, and a lot of misinformation and assumptions.

Nothing new there.

I don't force feed anything. As indicated before, I present alternatives and let the client decide. The only time I fire a client (or prospect) is when they insist on a Saver type plan.

The numbers work in favor of the HDHP almost every time. Young singles usually find it a wash but family plans work in favor of the HDHP every time. I cannot think of a single situation where the copay won based on the numbers.

Doesn't mean the client bought the HDHP, because I do have a handful of copay clients.

I illustrate, they decide. Pretty simple approach actually.

Nothing more needs to be said.

I don't do much health insurance either but my philosophy is present and explain the best alternatives but give the customer what they want. If they want a co-pay plan and you won't give it to them they will find an agent who will. Whether it is health, life, or disability I think some coverage is better than no coverage unless they want some cheap plan that they think is major medical and it isn't. In that case I would walk.

Back