The customer is always right.

well...I'm about out of here - off to see Wall-E - onto dinner then a 4th of July festival. I don't know what I'll drop today but I'd bet it would make more sense to take the money and put it into retirement savings or my son's college fund.

Maybe we should stay home -

...it doesn't always need to make financial sense.

...and a Honda will always make more financial sense than a Mercedes. What's the point again....

I would be very reluctant to buy a Mercedes or a BMW. If you have a problem they are hard to work, parts are expensive, and parts are hard to get if you are out in the smaller town midwest like I am. Of course people buy them all the time. Lexus is a lot easier to work on, parts aren't as expensive, and parts are more readily available (after all it is a Toyota in a different skin).

Now I love Hondas having owned several. Had a Honda Prelude that was virtually indestructible. But in the end it is what the customer thinks, wants, or can pay for that wins out. Sometimes it is not rhyme or reason.

Last edited:
Last deal I closed - $595 premium - family of three - wanted immediate maternity - chose Aetna

I did indeed run the math and showed him how he was not coming out ahead and clearly saw that pushing the issue was going to mean losing the deal.

He owns a restaurant and the $595 means nothing to him. Sold - Aetna with maternity at $595 since, after eduction, that's what he wanted.

I always thought it was give the client what they want after you've shown them the options. I've learned over the years being absolutely "right" can mean being absolutely poor. Always leave them an option of "if you find this doesn't work for you, we'll see if we can find another plan." If they want a copay and find later they want an HSA or vica versa...I want to be their agent both times. Should be that simple.

If after presenting an HDHP as an option, the client says "well, I still prefer co pays" then I think the solution is simple.

Let them buy the co pays!!!!!!!

Don't tell someone that you think an HSA it best, that's implying that you know what's best for them and in turn can be insulting to the client.

Let them buy what they want, this way they'll never be able to hold you responsible and if they don't like it, they know that they can call you for other options because you allowed them to buy, to make the decision.

It's win, win.
:biggrin:

What if the client was dead set on a Mega Plan. And, no matter what you said their friend has it and loves it, and they want that plan? What would you do? Would you walk away from a sale?

I am simply playing devils advocate, and am interested in the responses...

(I also know that this would never happen in real life)

Yes...walk away. If one of my clients bottom-lines me and said "listen, you're selling me the Right Start" I would reply "I certainly am not - go to assuranthealth.com and apply."

Back