United of Omaha Underwriting

It is a Plan N in Utah so it's not actually GI, but there are no health questions. I don't know if that makes a difference at all. And no, I wasn't told to cancel it early. My first sale was today, and I didn't know any better. lol I didn't cancel his old policy yet. I'm working with Frank, so I think I'm in good hands. I just thought I would ask you guys real quick. I appreciate your help and sorry to the OP for hijacking the thread!

I just finished a Medicare presentation to the local Kiwanis club a few minutes ago, and I certainly hope that MOO gets things straight soon, because if I get new clients from the presentation, I will get kicked out of the club, tarred and feathered, or shot, if that group of seniors has to wait a month to get approved.

The last several UW/MoO and Gerber apps I have taken I have pushed the effective date out an extra month and I have emphasized when I took the apps that they will take 5-6 weeks for processing due to the backlog. I have just been honest from the outset and tried to create a realistic expectation. Seems to work.

It is a Plan N in Utah so it's not actually GI, but there are no health questions. I don't know if that makes a difference at all. And no, I wasn't told to cancel it early. My first sale was today, and I didn't know any better. lol I didn't cancel his old policy yet. I'm working with Frank, so I think I'm in good hands. I just thought I would ask you guys real quick. I appreciate your help and sorry to the OP for hijacking the thread!

Congratulations on the sale!!! In normal times you could get an app approved by 8-1, but these are not normal times, so plan on 4 weeks to get the approval.

I was the O.P. so it's cool.

Last edited:
MOO told me last night that they are now running 6 to 8 weeks behind on pendings.. I have a few pending for over 30 days. I told her that I wont write anymore MOO until its a reasonable issue time.

I write MOO/UO/UW, as well as AARP/UHC and others. I am relating this just to contrast a recent experience: I met with a client 6/30, signed her up with an effective date of 7/1 (Plan N, GI), and overnighted the app to UHC. AARP/UHC issued the app 7/2 with an effective date of 7/1. I got my commission statement 7/11 with the credit on her sale. All this, and one page with required signature missing! I faxed in the missing signature on 7/11 (coincidental date) to missing document fax number.

Two big things stand out: 1) Overnighting cost me about $25, but got the job done. 2) A company can issue a policy without a so-called "required signature" if they want to. In AARP's case, 3 signatures are required on the app, along with a dozen or so for membership, EFT, HIPPA, etc., etc. I missed the one signature of 3 required (each on a separate page) on the application.... not for related items.... the application. However, I did call in my oversight when I got back to my office on 6/30, and was told not to worry, but send the signed page in ASAP. They made good on their word.

One other thing: I disagree with pushing the effective date for a policy out just to avoid hassles with long UW approval times. If the company's producer manual provides effective dates soon after application, I would not want my client to pay additional monies to a policy they are replacing, or go without insurance (God forbid!) just so that I won't be hassled with questions about "Am I covered?". The agent must rely on the rules, and if the rules are met, give the client the effective date they request. Let the insurance company explain why they won't give the effective date requested, if they don't. I have yet to NOT get the requested date, but perhaps some of you have... I would like to know your situation for my own benefit.

Yup. Slow as mud over there. I'd rather write Gerber, but have been writing Sentinel here in Texas until things improve. Sentinel is turning business around inside of a week.

Comp is a little better too; I just don't know if I trust the product long term. We'll see.

Back