Website Design Is Dead

I built my own website a number of years ago when Frontpage was the king of website design software. It's outdated now, and I can't find a legal copy of Frontpage in order to fix it. So I bought MS Expression Web about 2 years ago and haven't opened the box yet... I hate learning a new program - guess I'm old.

My Frontpage website looks great, just outdated and not in keeping with new web standards. I get plenty of leads from it - too many actually. One fear is that redesigning it will put me behind in the SEO department since my current site ranks pretty well in search engines and generates leads. The next problem is learning a whole new software to do it over. I'm like CHUMPS and I'd just like to trust someone to do it right. Whenever I considered hiring an expert I'm appalled at what they say. Maybe they think I'm stupid and can't see through their claims (I didn't tell them I built the first site myself.)

I'm glad you like WordPress. I'll look into it more. Thanks for the info - it was really valuable.

Sometimes I'm embarrassed how old I am (although I am immature which offsets the age).

In college at Miami, I took a computer class and we had to create these programs by putting together about 20, 40...sometimes 100 cards that were punched (for the holes). Then you bundled them in the right order (or wrong order) and waited a few hours to see if it worked.

I hated that class. Maybe that's why I never learned html. I think I would hate that too.

Sometimes I'm embarrassed how old I am (although I am immature which offsets the age).

In college at Miami, I took a computer class and we had to create these programs by putting together about 20, 40...sometimes 100 cards that were punched (for the holes). Then you bundled them in the right order (or wrong order) and waited a few hours to see if it worked.

I hated that class. Maybe that's why I never learned html. I think I would hate that too.

YOU MEAN ONE OF THESE? YOU'RE OLD!

Image:
card2.jpg

When I was in graduate school in 1972 and learned to program, and then right after that when I started with EDS it was the tail-end of the punch-card era. I sat for many, many hours (often days) punching cards.

You'd first write down all the code on a pad... often thousands of lines that look like below and then took the pad and sat at a keypunch machine and typed it in. (Or we sent it to the keypunch dept. where they had people (almost always women) who did it for us).

And yeah, I can still read code like this and know what it does. It was code like that that ran the computers that powered the Apollo mission as well as ran nightly bank accounting for millions of accounts. It would not be uncommon for a program to have several thousand lines (cards) of code. (The OS X system that runs my iMac has about 90 million lines of code!)

The cards went into a tray (more like a drawer) and you might have ten or twelve of them and you out them on a cart and wheeled it to the computer room where they fed them to the card reader which turned the holes into ones and zeros (positive/negative electric current) that the central computer could understand.

Today your average desktop computer can execute around 900 million lines ("cards") of code a second. However, when you consider time to read/write RAM and disks and light up screens and network data, the real "throughput" is much lower.

3912897figure-2.gif

keypunch_machine_new_1.jpg

Thanks Ann and Al for posting those pics of a nightmare that I thought would never surface again. My college days were from 75-80 so I assume it was in 76 when I took the class.

The good thing is that I'm not that old, since I was just 17 as a college freshman.

Thanks Ann and Al for posting those pics of a nightmare

The nightmare of the time was dropping a tray of a thousand cards. It was not pretty. Fortunately you could program the IBM 029 keypunch to put a sequence number on the card, so that helped when picking up the cards off the floor.

And did you notice the beveled edge of the top left corner. Made it easy to see if a card was upside down or backward.

Still, if you dropped a tray (they were heavy) you could expect to spend several hours getting them back in order.

We were real happy when the move was made to coding programs on a terminal and the code saved to disk.

Back