What is the best advice for someone starting out in selling life insurance?

The best advice for starting out in Insurance is to go "As Earned" on all of your contracts, build a book of business and don't quit your day job until the income from insurance matches it or is more than it.

Come work with me. Seriously. I will take you step by step in home and on the phone. The short version however is be likeable and connect with your client.

Ouch. Why do you feel this way?

My original comment was said half tongue in cheek...but the truth of the matter is that I've seen a lot of agents crash out. Here are a few reasons why I feel Insurance is not for everyone.

1) Everyone promises 6 figures...and although that's possible in the long term, it's more likely that the decimal point is in the wrong place for several years. Expect a loss some years and to break even others when your first starting out.

2) Leads. Leads are not cheap and until you start to produce on a regular basis, they can be a drain on your finances. Most agents are not prepared for this. They simply don't have the money saved up. Sure there are "free leads" but those are either orphens or worked to death.

3) Speaking of costs; you better have a good tax guy that understands how a small business works. You will have expenses. Plus, no one trains you to be your own boss. It's a sharp learning curve and not everyone has that drive OR DISCIPLINE to do the same thing day in and day out.

4) Training. Now, I've been lucky and have had some great trainers. I've also literally had one guy take me out, show me 1 presentation and leave. To many times your left with just a brochure and maybe a video

Unless someone is able and willing to accept these risks. They should not be in the business of insurance. That being said there are some great rewards and the nicest emails I ever got was from a woman whose husband died. She told me she thought Life was a waste of time and money....but she was well taken care of afterword.

Back