What protects us from nasty customers?

If he calls or emails again just tell him that you have done all that you can for him and are not able to help him any further. One thing you have to remember is there is no law that says any of us has to take on a client. You can blow them off or fire them if they are difficult. I would not worry about getting a bad rep because 1) if he knew anyone else in the insurance biz why didn't he buy from them and 2) any other agent has dealt with the same thing and knows what it is really all about.

Reminds me of one of my personal favorites, guy calls and leaves a message about talking to a f**king live person to buy some f**king health insurance. LOL, he actually left that message of course did not leave a callback number.

Another thing I have noticed is that those on the very borderline are often the biggest a-holes. Your guy knows no one is going to underwrite him, at least favorably. He also knows his AD&D is worth crap. He is just taking it out on you. The biggest jerks I deal with (which is rare, thankfully) are always a decline waiting to happen.

He's not your client, you don't own him sh*t, so just dump him and move on. He can go talk to one of his "friends" and get it taken care of.

Last edited:
I just want to be protected from psychotic, lying clients who think they're always right, even if the proof is before their eyes AND delivered by experienced/licensed insurance agents.

Next aggressive contact from him that he initiates, reply by telling him that you have attempted to satisfy his requests and needs but it is obvious that you are unable to do so. Let him know (sternly) that since he has been unreasonable in his demands that you will no longer communicate with him on the matter, and he can take this up directly with the company. Inform him that you will take NO MORE correspondense from him, verbal or email, and if he persists in berating you, let him know that any further contact from him will be reported as harrassment.

Obviously the above kind of depends on whether one is concerned for their safety, which is the inference that I have taken from your original post. It also depends on whether a male or female agent, because if a Male customer is attempting to intimidate a female agent, this takes on a different aura than if a male agent.

There are whacko folks out there that we come in contact with, and some (fortunately not many) attempt to take out their sh*t sandwich that they must swallow in their life, on someone else by bullying them around. This is someone who needs a good ass-kicking in real life, if you ask me... And he will get it, just not soon enough.

Be professional.... As much as it feels good to tell someone to F off now and again, be professional. You'll be better off in the long run.

Just tell the guy the dates you've made the call for the refund check and offer him the 800 number for the carrier.

Document everything.

The reason you don't fly off the handle is because "if" he files a complaint to the OIC your responses will be read my government workers whose first impression will be you did something wrong. Doing it right and professionally wins out.

I have had a lawyer call my office everyday for three months in a divorce case. He faxed and emailed unreasonable (IRS standards) demands daily. Bugged the hell out of me. Kept telling me how he was going to contact the SEC and OIC.

Long story short.. everything I did paperwork wise became evidence. Every correspondence sent became evidence.

It took the judge less than five minutes to dismiss anything against me. In fact the judge told the lawyer if you had listened to Mr. Gilmore you wouldn't have cost your client several hundred thousand dollars.

Cross your "t"'s and dot your "i"'s. Be professional.

Disclose in writting what you've done to help this guy get his money back.

Do not get into debates over AD&D other than to say he's incorrect and leave it at that and leave it at "I'm sorry you feel that way."

First never collect a check with a life application.....learned that a long ............

Be professional.... As much as it feels good to tell someone to F off now and again, be professional. You'll be better off in the long run.

Just tell the guy the dates you've made the call for the refund check and offer him the 800 number for the carrier.

Document everything.

The reason you don't fly off the handle is because "if" he files a complaint to the OIC your responses will be read my government workers whose first impression will be you did something wrong. Doing it right and professionally wins out.

I have had a lawyer call my office everyday for three months in a divorce case. He faxed and emailed unreasonable (IRS standards) demands daily. Bugged the hell out of me. Kept telling me how he was going to contact the SEC and OIC.

Long story short.. everything I did paperwork wise became evidence. Every correspondence sent became evidence.

It took the judge less than five minutes to dismiss anything against me. In fact the judge told the lawyer if you had listened to Mr. Gilmore you wouldn't have cost your client several hundred thousand dollars.

Cross your "t"'s and dot your "i"'s. Be professional.

Disclose in writting what you've done to help this guy get his money back.

Do not get into debates over AD&D other than to say he's incorrect and leave it at that and leave it at "I'm sorry you feel that way."

...and then LGilmore took a dump on his porch...

Back