What would you do on a PDP sale?

Seems as though the best thing to do is to mail the app to them and have him sign and return to you. Case closed. You CAN do it online, but you're supposed to be with the client when you do it!! That would defeat the purpose of not driving the 80 miles.
No matter what they told you at Coventry, VA IS CREDIBLE COVERAGE! If we could just get those broker services people to get an education we would be alright. They are worse than trying to get a correct answer from CMS. As for Coventry itself goes, I find them to be as good or better than any of the other "MA" companies. I've had no problems that haven't been corrected.
Keep it simple!

Seems the whole system is flawed, including me not knowing about VA being creditable coverage, but I did call. I've never run into a VA situation before. The scope form...the 48 hour cooling off period.....the cut in commissions...people don't like the donut hole....and why can't you just enroll clients you've got online? If they say they want it...you've reviewed the medications with the formulary list...make it easy for the agents whether their there or not.......I could see a problem though if you were enrolling folks on-line without their approval though...a few calls by folks questioning what you've done and you would be in trouble....

Coventry helped me when I was on disability from Kidney failure. Their prescription plan always paid with no problems.
Luckily my kidneys came back. Dialysis sucks.

Last edited:
Seems as though the best thing to do is to mail the app to them and have him sign and return to you. Case closed. You CAN do it online, but you're supposed to be with the client when you do it!!

I agree with online with the client... It's not worth losing a block of Coventry over!

I have come to the conclusion that I can train most of my existing clients to fish. Not all of them, of course. The ones that can. I look-up the best plan and I'll advise them of the best plan regardless of whether I sell it or not. That's integrity!

If I represent the best plan then I'll complete most of the application and mail them a complete packet. If I don't I'll give them the 800# of the carrier I don't represent. Walgreen's will look up the best plan but will not always show mail order. I will!

If they accept my recommendation then I send a completed application and advise them to send it directly into the carrier and then the "case is closed". If I have them send the application back to me then I have to handle it and scan it and track it. No way! Not for $18 - $28 for five years. I sell my service not minimum wage. I have a family to feed.

I have had none of my clients threaten to leave or leave over this. They know up front that I'm doing this for less than minimum wage. I tell them this. And besides they would have a snowballs chance in hell trying to find another agent whom will do this service.

Thanks CMS! :goofy:

I have a client...husband and wife, that have Medicare supplements with me....and pay annually. The wife purchased a PDP plan when they first came out. The husband didn't because he could get his at the VA. The wife called me this morning saying she wanted her husband to go ahead and get one...that he was tired of fooling with the VA(for whatever reason....copays, etc.) She's aware of the 1% per month penalty he will pay. Even so, the AdvantraRX value plan won't run over $32 per month with low copays for preferred brand and brand named drugs.

My question...how thrilled would you be to make an 80 mile round-trip visit for a whopping $27 in commission? I already have all of his information off of his med-supp application. She wants him on the plan....mail the app? Is it legal to do that? I won't say what I did...just curious what others would do?

This is perfectly legal. Mail the app.

Bill:

Very easy and answered in a post earlier than this.

Go to the consumer site and at the end of the on-line form is a place to put your agent number. Easy, peasy.

Rick

Coventry enrollments require you to physically be with the applicant. You can't do it over the phone.

Plus, I don't think they will pay a commission to the agent on a PDP if you use the online enrollment. They will on an MA or an MAPD but not on a PDP.

I would fill it out and mail it to them and have them mail it to Coventry.

Coventry enrollments require you to physically be with the applicant. You can't do it over the phone.

Plus, I don't think they will pay a commission to the agent on a PDP if you use the online enrollment. They will on an MA or an MAPD but not on a PDP.

That's ridiculous that they won't pay a commission if you do an online enrollment.

The mail-the-app option seems like the most likely solution.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
First of all, you need to understand PDP rules and penalties before you advise anyone.

The VA is creditable coverage so there is no penalty.

The commisison on him would be $54, not $27.

You might turn this over to someone who has more experience and/or knowledge of this part of the business. It can get tricky if you don't know what you're doing.

Lastly, you can write Advantra on-line.

Rick

Turn this over to someone else? I've been writing them for 3 years...have written between 100-200 of them. Just hadn't run into a VA situation before.

True..the commission is $54. Oh boy!

Last edited:
You could just go to the plan finder at www.medicare.gov and enroll them in the best plan for them. If Advantra comes up in the top position I'd be surprised. I've helped over 150 of my clients to date move from Humana PDP's using the plan finder on medicare.gov, enrolled them in the best plan, print the confirmation, file one, mail one to client, explain to client I have no affiliation with the plan, etc... it's what's best for them.

I'm sure I broke a rule somewhere, but it's like they put up a "KEEP OFF GRASS" sign after we're in the middle of a golf course.

IMO the $15 renewal's I'm killing from Humana or the $27 I'd get from Coventry is peanuts compared to the hundreds of dollars it means to a client to have the right plan. I have switched several via mail to the Coventry and Aetna plans I represent, but all of them are long time clients and neither the client nor I see the point of setting up a meeting to switch drug cards... I mean... It's a sign here and see ya thing.

I was told by my "go to guy" yesterday that with Coventry you can do a phone enrollment. I'm waiting for him to send me the e-mail explaining exactly how it works.

For $100 I will send it to you when I receive it but you will have to wait for 48 hours to open the e-mail. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Mailing an application is fine, but...what if it's the 28th of December when your mailing an application to a client....uh...not enough time.

Let's see you can help them by logging on to the medicare sight, but no commission. Sorry, I need the money....:nah:

Back