Why 20 a week?

The OP is from Georgia. I am not sure from what county, but he will be lucky to get 20 leads a week from that state. Some vendors won't even mail in Georgia.

Georgia has actually gotten better than it used to be. For us anyway.

That is true, but it’s been interesting to watch some guys on the FE forum, who used to be strictly focused on FE, stretching out into other areas of the life insurance business. My friend Joshua Jones (@HoosierLife) moved into Medicare, then mortgage protection products. I even saw him discussing annuities in a thread the other day. Then this morning I got an email from Dave Duford with a video on annuities as well. We better start policing ourselves or we’ll end up becoming real insurance men like @WinoBlues!

Are any those guys just field agents now?

That is true, but it’s been interesting to watch some guys on the FE forum, who used to be strictly focused on FE, stretching out into other areas of the life insurance business. My friend Joshua Jones (@HoosierLife) moved into Medicare, then mortgage protection products. I even saw him discussing annuities in a thread the other day. Then this morning I got an email from Dave Duford with a video on annuities as well. We better start policing ourselves or we’ll end up becoming real insurance men like @WinoBlues!

It’s always been MARKET for one thing. But take all the low hanging fruit you can uncover on your appointments and referrals. I’ve never once marketed for an annuity. I barely ever asked about them. But I always sold 1 to 2-million per year in annuities. Because I had my ears open. When people start talking about their retirement accounts losing money or their CDs not paying decent interest I knew they were open to discussion.

I did always ask about Medicare but I rarely mailed for Medicare leads.

You specialize for one thing with your marketing. You fill the needs of anything that you understand how to fill and are licensed to do. But not until your main thing is stable. My opinion anyway.

Are any those guys just field agents now?
Not the guys I mentioned. I agree with you and others, that your main focus should be FE. Only when you’re good at that should you branch out cautiously. I’ve always had what I call “opportunity addiction”. I’ll be tooling along great, then find out you can make money selling ———-. Trouble is, whatever that “shiny thing” is ends up distracting me from my core “bread & butter” business. My best years in the business have been the “distraction free” years.

On the other hand, because my particular core business is home service, I become a family’s insurance man. That leads me naturally into other markets as many of my families have experienced upward financial migration with succeeding generations.

I was trained in a more traditional way originally, so it’s not too hard for me to address needs up and down the economic spectrum. Even given that, I still don’t try to handle every single case. I will refer the more sophisticated cases out to better qualified financial planner types. But if I were starting out in FE today, I’d get that down pat before I explored anything else.

Not the guys I mentioned. I agree with you and others, that your main focus should be FE. Only when you’re good at that should you branch out cautiously. I’ve always had what I call “opportunity addiction”. I’ll be tooling along great, then find out you can make money selling ———-. Trouble is, whatever that “shiny thing” is ends up distracting me from my core “bread & butter” business. My best years in the business have been the “distraction free” years.

On the other hand, because my particular core business is home service, I become a family’s insurance man. That leads me naturally into other markets as many of my families have experienced upward financial migration with succeeding generations.

I was trained in a more traditional way originally, so it’s not too hard for me to address needs up and down the economic spectrum. Even given that, I still don’t try to handle every single case. I will refer the more sophisticated cases out to better qualified financial planner types. But if I were starting out in FE today, I’d get that down pat before I explored anything else.

Do you do anything "Medicare" with your clients?

Do you do anything "Medicare" with your clients?
I have, but it was one of those “shiny things” for me. I might do it again some day, if I can find a couple of good dual eligible MA plans. But I also got away from it because I find the CMMS regs to be kind of burdensome.

Last edited:
Back