Why Your Clients Are Scumbags

I think I've told this one before, but I had a guy who lied about his son living at the house. A loser son, license suspended indefinitely for multiple DUIs and driving without a license, and a wrap sheet longer than the affordable care act.

Any way, the father calls me yesterday pissed of he's getting cancelled because he lied, he admits to lying, and then says that I am not allowed to punish him for his son's actions, and that looking into his criminal record is illegal and that he's going to sue me.

I informed him that I didn't look into his criminal record, at that the insurance company looked at his driving record which happened to have some criminal activity. I also set him straight because I had to pull a favor from underwriters to even get him insured in the first place at a decent rate.

So I told him straight up on top of lying to me, and threatening to sue me, that I cannot continue our business together and wished him luck in finding an insurance company. And if you have any concerns about the legality of our business together you can call the Department of Insurance and Financial Services and get any questions answered, or file a complaint.

Sucks because it was a nice account, but nice because I don't have a loser liar on the books, who would apparently have no problem suing me.

A secret of success I've read about is to be careful not to let the INCREDIBLY bad behavior of the few poison your attitude toward the good folks who make success possible. It's easy to let it happen.

I couldn't agree more.

Lost an account today. Home, couple cars and umbrella to Liberty Mutual - guy saved $500/year. Serviced this old man for years. He even had an at fault 1 1/2 years ago - hit a pedestrian. BI payout $21,000. This dude is 85 years old! Held his hand thru that, helped him out at renewal times. And he was pissed that his rates went up with the claim. Good riddance.

At 85 and still driving, I think it is probably best he left your agency. Liberty Mutual can deal with the future losses.

I insured a family who's father passed away unexpectedly about 3 years ago. My agency helped raise about $2,500 for the family (not much money BUT we made an effort to ask our network to assist.)

Well they just left my agency for E-surance. They wouldn't even let us requote them because "they already made the switch!!!!!!"

This is why I am NEVER going out of my way for my clients again. They are all scum bags who don't appreciate anything we do. I do my job & nothing above and beyond because people just burn you left & right.

Why would you ever call a customer a scumbag?

Anytime a customer choosing to go with a competitor it is always because of something the proprietor "did" or "didn't" do. Calling someone that exercised their right as a consumer to switch carriers a scumbag is more of an indication of your character than theirs.

Have competitive pricing, treat people well and have a good product and the bulk of your customer base will stick with you.

Why would you ever call a customer a scumbag?

Anytime a customer choosing to go with a competitor it is always because of something the proprietor "did" or "didn't" do. Calling someone that exercised their right as a consumer to switch carriers a scumbag is more of an indication of your character than theirs.

Have competitive pricing, treat people well and have a good product and the bulk of your customer base will stick with you.

If you've been doing this long enough, you should certainly have had your fair share of scum bags. Exercising your right to switch insurance doesn't make you a scum bag. Not (at the very least..) giving your agency who donated a sizeable amount of money to your family the OPPORTUNITY to match the other carrier's rate...I think makes you a scum bag. If you haven't had the scum bag client (lies to your face, lies on claims, etc..) then consider yourself lucky.

I had a client back in college (In an indy agency) asked me how many credit cards I saw a day and wanted to work out an arrangement where I fed him CC info- Because of my lack of Anonymity here I have been reluctant to call some one a scum bag- (Other than Ins1587- who left to forum years ago and in no way is related to Ins1822)...

But I would suggest this guy who wanted me to steal client Credit card information would fit in that bucket.

Last edited:
you should have contacted the authorities & setup a sting against that guy. That's beyond scum bag...that's into the 'deserves death' category.

Well I just got a call from the mother who put a stop to this as soon as she found out the daughter tried to switch things. I saved the account.

And yes I knew that I made a choice to do the right thing & help them out & I would never use that as leverage to keep their business. I just figured if this ever happened I would get the courtesy to match or beat the rate. Which...the mother just did. Soooo a bit of an over-reaction on my part

Well Done.

So many people think they are smart shoppers end up killing themselves with crappy coverage to save a few bucks.

Were you able to meet the competitors quote?

I've been in the biz long enough to know that it never fails to be true -- The ones you bend over backwards for, make special considerations, kiss their boots, ignore their arrogance always end up being your worst nightmare.

I had a client who was new in town. I got him a great rate with strong coverage. Sent thank you note. I helped him get established in the community.. A referral to barber, mechanic, doctor, dentist, helped him with finding a great appartment.. Ect, ect... Upon renewal he left for a lower rate. When asked he said it wasn't me, the other rate was just cheaper.

Interestingly the guy had been divorced four times. It proves he just can't stay in any relationship that long! Insurance companies do their own "profiling" to derive rate. Well, I now look at divorced clients as less dedicated, and the more times they've been divorced the less aporeciative they can be.

Some people don't appreciate what good things people do for them.

Being a personal lines P&C agent is very rough as clients can be very abusive in so many ways. More so than any other sales career I've been in.

You just have to brush it off and move on. Don't let it get you down.

Back