Why Your Clients Are Scumbags

I've been in the biz long enough to know that it never fails to be true -- The ones you bend over backwards for, make special considerations, kiss their boots, ignore their arrogance always end up being your worst nightmare.

I had a client who was new in town. I got him a great rate with strong coverage. Sent thank you note. I helped him get established in the community.. A referral to barber, mechanic, doctor, dentist, helped him with finding a great appartment.. Ect, ect... Upon renewal he left for a lower rate. When asked he said it wasn't me, the other rate was just cheaper.

Interestingly the guy had been divorced four times. It proves he just can't stay in any relationship that long! Insurance companies do their own "profiling" to derive rate. Well, I now look at divorced clients as less dedicated, and the more times they've been divorced the less aporeciative they can be.

Some people don't appreciate what good things people do for them.

Being a personal lines P&C agent is very rough as clients can be very abusive in so many ways. More so than any other sales career I've been in.

You just have to brush it off and move on. Don't let it get you down.

Sounds like the guy who was new in town could not find my office and was walking here in a thunderstorm to start a policy. Anyway my husband told him to stay put and drove to go get him then drove him to the DMV since he would have had to walk there to and didn't know where it was. He cancelled for 5 bucks.

I want married couples with multiple policies, children, and professional occupations.

Easy money. You treat them right and they will sway $100-200 and see the relationship as part of the value you offer, instead of purely shopping by price.

I want married couples with multiple policies, children, and professional occupations.

Easy money. You treat them right and they will sway $100-200 and see the relationship as part of the value you offer, instead of purely shopping by price.

What difference does it really make to you? You're a producer bro. If you're going to talk about what makes sense...then open your own agency.

Everyone wants an agency full of the perfect customers. Its just not reality. The reality is that some customers are true scumbags and you had no clue. Sometimes that perfect account becomes your worst problem. And the account that you think will be a problem turns into a great account. but you wrote it because - that is what we do.

I have to add to my previous post about my 85 year old leaving. He is not a scumbag for leaving, hats off to him. My scumbag award goes to the agent and company that wrote him. I mean really, 85 with an at fault bi claim? With an umbrella? Who writes that? Liberty Mutual does. There rates are hot right now. I'm sending all my trouble customers to them. !

And he wasn't 85 when I first insured him...

Dave

What difference does it really make to you? You're a producer bro. If you're going to talk about what makes sense...then open your own agency.

I do plan on starting my own agency in the next 3-5 years actually.

And from what I've experienced, married couples are the best, no hassle accounts. What's wrong with that, why are you calling me out on it?

Derrick - Follow me here...I'm going to try 2 approaches..

1.) You appear to have a pretty firm grasp on the fundamentals of growing a personal lines P&C book the right way. You appear to have a pretty solid working knowledge of how 'things work.' I find myself perturbed as to why you (seemingly) self impose time constraints on your personal expansion in this business. More specifically, those 3-4 years translate into tons of premium you aren't growing under your own book. Godspeed my friend, spread your wings.

2.) Dude...shut the f*ck up and stop being a g*d damn va*ina and open your own agency & stop making other people money. You aren't going to learn anything new in the next 3-4 years, so grow a pair NOW and get to it. Evaluate your risks & capitalize on the potential growth. You are wasting time! F*g

Maybe he is saving some cash up.

Derrick - Follow me here...I'm going to try 2 approaches..

1.) You appear to have a pretty firm grasp on the fundamentals of growing a personal lines P&C book the right way. You appear to have a pretty solid working knowledge of how 'things work.' I find myself perturbed as to why you (seemingly) self impose time constraints on your personal expansion in this business. More specifically, those 3-4 years translate into tons of premium you aren't growing under your own book. Godspeed my friend, spread your wings.

2.) Dude...shut the f*ck up and stop being a g*d damn va*ina and open your own agency & stop making other people money. You aren't going to learn anything new in the next 3-4 years, so grow a pair NOW and get to it. Evaluate your risks & capitalize on the potential growth. You are wasting time! F*g

Part of the agreement is that if I work in the same geographical area, I have to pay 50% of my book. Not a great deal, but not a bad deal. I know for a fact my agency would work with me on a payment plan. That on top of cluster fees and rater and agency system subscriptions, I just can't do it right now.

Currently buying a house and I'm about to get married. I need a little bit of stability. I'm waiting on the fiance to graduate and hopefully get a $40-50K job so we have financial stability in the home. I also haven't grown my book to where I want it to be before I leave ($1M premium), and also I want to absorb as much experience as I can in the office, with some guys having over 40 years in the biz. Also want a firmer foot in the commercial biz world.

Also, I don't have the upfront money, or the income I could pay into a cluster, yet. And since I don't have more than 2-3 years of P&C experience, most clusters/aggs won't even talk to me on a preliminary basis. I'm also writing up a detailed business plan, about 10 pages as of right now and many more written notes, on how I'm going to run my business. I just want to have a solidified game plan going forward.

I'm also worried about not having access to preferred carriers, for preferred customers, at preferred rates. I understand I need to sell on value, not price, but that only goes so far even for the most loyal customer. I don't know if it's like it for any other state, but in Michigan some of the regional carriers just kill any other rates for both home and auto. Specifically, I'm talking about Auto-Owners and Citizens which I would probably not be able to get an appointment through not just right now, but ever. Especially the AO.

It's a work in progress, but in a few short years I will own my own agency.

Last edited:
Derrick,

I don't have a dog in this fight, I typically don't help agents go indy in Michigan, but give me a call, we need to help you get to what Norway guy and Ins1398 are talking about.

Grow a book for someone else or get 90/10 commissions, bonuses, and 100% ownership with all the carriers you need and the training an support you need.

Give me a call.

Your numbers not mine: 750k X 15%= 112k - 10%=100k

Sounds like the guy who was new in town could not find my office and was walking here in a thunderstorm to start a policy. Anyway my husband told him to stay put and drove to go get him then drove him to the DMV since he would have had to walk there to and didn't know where it was. He cancelled for 5 bucks.

Heather I applaud you and your husband's humanitarian effort. Take it from someone who has been bitten too many times before. Never do that. Most of the down and out people are into using and/or abusing. Clients should have some measure of credibility otherwise referrer it out.

Heather I applaud you and your husband's humanitarian effort. Take it from someone who has been bitten too many times before. Never do that. Most of the down and out people are into using and/or abusing. Clients should have some measure of credibility otherwise referrer it out.

Got one worse, last night, which was Friday client calls my cell phone trying to sell me a TV to raise bail money for the husband or do I know anyone that needs one at 10:30 pm on a Friday. WTF!!!

Make it so bad these people have 3 cars, a home and a business insured with me.:nah:

Back