Will You Write Plans at 0% Commission?

In Connecticut you have to have a CIC designation (Certified Insurance Counselor - I think) to charge a fee for health insurance. In addition you can only charge a fee on products that have no commissions.

Just got an obnoxious email from the Connecticut exchange.

It basically said that if we don't service our clients without a fee in 2017, they can take them from us so that if and when they restore commissions we will have fewer clients.

it was more elegantly worded than my synopsis, but they could have shortened the copy and just said "F you brokers."

I'll take the money if the commissions come back but I'll never again spend any folding money marketing individual health unless there are radical changes. If they bring commissions back it won't be until 2018 and I will have too much invested in being a P&C focused agency by then.

In Connecticut you have to have a CIC designation (Certified Insurance Counselor - I think) to charge a fee for health insurance. In addition you can only charge a fee on products that have no commissions.

Just got an obnoxious email from the Connecticut exchange.

It basically said that if we don't service our clients without a fee in 2017, they can take them from us so that if and when they restore commissions we will have fewer clients.

it was more elegantly worded than my synopsis, but they could have shortened the copy and just said "F you brokers."

I'll take the money if the commissions come back but I'll never again spend any folding money marketing individual health unless there are radical changes. If they bring commissions back it won't be until 2018 and I will have too much invested in being a P&C focused agency by then.

What? Oh my goodness!

So far following the letter we sent out not disclosing any fees, the call ins have been 100% positive. My fees have been anywhere from $50 for a single applicant to $200 for a typically complicated case and not one has balked. One did ask, what if I try it myself and then come to you? "The fee is double if I can get to you at all." I'm not about to start fixing other's mistakes when they tried to work around my fee.

Full disclosure has notified them this only includes the application to the marketplace, explanation of the tax credit, assistance in plan choice and payment set up. No service after that included, but a separate fee can be discussed at that time. Calls to the marketplace start at $1/min and the clock is running when I start dialing.

If this becomes a trend they will have to pass the " Affordable Health Insurance Agent Act "

What? Oh my goodness!

Here is an excerpt from the email:

If you currently have an electronic broker of record relationship with a client (TANGO) and want that relationship to continue for the 2017 Open Enrollment year, you must get re-certified by AHCT and you must service your client. Once you are re-certified by AHCT, you may continue to help your clients for the 2017 OE and it will allow you access to enrollment assistance from the AHCT Broker Support Team. You will not be receiving monetary compensation, but this will ensure that you stay electronically connected with your client base. If you fail to service your client and your client contacts AHCT's call center for assistance, you risk the termination of your electronic broker of record relationship with
such client.

Not service your client apparently means "if your client calls us like we asked them to." The exchange sends out pounds of correspondence with their phone number and website. None of the correspondence has the broker's contact information nor does it even say something like "or contact your broker."

They have been stealing our clients almost from day one. I have had clients who were very happy with me call the exchange because they wanted to update her address or something else that didn't require an agent's advice. They often got transferred to an in-house agents who stole my commissions without informing my client that they are displacing me.

Some will call me back a month or two later thinking I'm still their agent. At that time I can reconnect with them, but nobody will replace my lost commissions and there is no way to tell how many other clients I lost this way.

:no: It aint fair. :no:

I'm going to have a rough year because of the lost commissions. But that's a speed bump. My biggest regret is that that I didn't sever the relationship before they did.

Many of the major carriers are not paying comish in 2017.

Many of our clients are on these company plans and will likely want to stay with them (if offered) because of their networks...

- Will you write plans with these carriers at 0% comish?
- If yes, why?
- If no, what are you telling these clients?
If you are an agent in Florida and were not able to get appointed with Ambetter from Sunshine Health, I can work a referral fee with you so you can still make money this 2017 Open enrollment. Ambetter has the most competitive rates in many of FL counties. Send me a private message with your contact info and we can discuss it.

Many of the major carriers are not paying comish in 2017.

Many of our clients are on these company plans and will likely want to stay with them (if offered) because of their networks...

- Will you write plans with these carriers at 0% comish?
- If yes, why?
- If no, what are you telling these clients?

I've assisted a few 0% commission Major Medical enrollees, because they also buy an Add-on, like an Injury plan, or more rarely, a Critical Illness policy.

Also, it keeps these clients attached to you..making you the go-to agent for TrumpCare next O.E.. or sooner.

Back