World Insurance

In the somewhat obscure category, World is one of the few carriers I've found who doesn't mind offering short-term medical to morbidly obese clients (hefty rate up, but not a decline at least). Just tossing that out there, should it ever come up for anyone.

Nick, thx for the info. I haven't used World in 2 years. Didn't have a reason to.

I notice you are a neighbor, with an Atlanta address but your flag is Alabama. Homesick?

Good point. Assurant is another example of strong agent brand but lesser consumer awareness.

I have certainly noticed quite a bit of tv advertising of late by Assurant. ESPN quite a bit... plus on the front of one of the desks of the sports commentators, I think the BCS games or NFL, not sure... there is an Assurant sign/graphic, as being one of their main sponsors. Certainly an attempt to get the brand out there and noticed more.

I have certainly noticed quite a bit of tv advertising of late by Assurant. ESPN quite a bit... plus on the front of one of the desks of the sports commentators, I think the BCS games or NFL, not sure... there is an Assurant sign/graphic, as being one of their main sponsors. Certainly an attempt to get the brand out there and noticed more.

Assurant has gotten serious name recognition in the past year, with all of their advertising.

If they were just slightly competitive on co-pay plans, I could use them more. They have the widest price swings between states, of any of the carriers that I use, however, their HSA is presentable.

Certainly an attempt to get the brand out there and noticed more.

But . . . they are not issuing policies under the Assurant name. Rather, they are using Time (at least in GA).

Volvo is owned by Ford (at least for now). But when have you seen a Ford commercial telling you to buy Volvo?

UHC is attempting to rebrand themselves as United HealthOne no less. In some states they issue under GR, while others it is AMS.

Carriers do some incredibly stupid things, and branding is one of them.

Carriers do some incredibly stupid things, and branding is one of them.

But I think there is a method to their madness beyond what we see on the mkting side. It is all about posturing risk, I think. Keeping an eye on the exit door, so if a fire breaks out (inordinate risk), they can escape it with a large degree of their assets intact... Nothing more than asset protection by the use of different entities. Pooling of risks.

Ford goes down, it doesn't take Volvo with it... uh, maybe a bad analogy using automotive companies as examples for anything these days, except failure and catestrophic risks.

Branding works in MD - countless Carefirst commercials in MD for individual plans...mainly touting "Personal Comp" which has a $500 annual drug cap. Last stats? They have 72% of the individual market in MD.

Nick, thx for the info. I haven't used World in 2 years. Didn't have a reason to.

I notice you are a neighbor, with an Atlanta address but your flag is Alabama. Homesick?

Whoops, thanks for the heads up. I forgot to change my state of residence so it just defaulted to the first item on the list.

Back