World Insurance

Could it be because they keep changing their name . . .?
I worked there when they were Time Insurance. Then they were bought by Amev, who became Fortis. Fortis then bought John Alden, and together became Fortis Health in the US. Then they broke away from Fortis and went public with Assurant. Assurant owned Assurant Health and John Alden. Alden did not like being on unequal footing brand-wise, so Assurant Health became... Time Insurance again. So, Assurant has Time and Alden brands.
Not sure of the strength today of the Alden brand- anybody out there sell Alden?

I would think it may have played even better in Massachusetts until the new state health plan went into effect. Maybe there should be a carrier named Miles Standish.;)

It's nice that Assurant passes out GA contracts like candy, but some of the agents with GA contracts are confused.

I had one guy call me every other week, trying to sign me up. I finally asked him, "are you aware that I've had a GA contract with Assurant for several years"? He replied yes. I had to ask him why I would give up my direct contract and higher commission to be his sub agent, and he didn't have an answer that made any sense and didn't call back.

Last edited:
A major flaw in this field is ANYONE can get a GA deal with almost any carrier - no requirements, no demonstration of skill and in some cases either no past production or limited production.

Unless this changes you'll always have garbage training new agents.

I was on the phone with Scott of HCO yesterday. He showed me their quote engine by doing a live search on one of my current prospects.
O.K, in TX, I have a prospect in Austin and the quote engine says World and Imerica are the cheapest. I know we don't go by "cheapest" as a determinate. In Austin, Great-West is the network. Is G-W any good in Texas?
This prospect is healthy. Is World a bad choice because of the network, or plans (how about their RX)?
I have discounted Imerica because of what I read on the forum.
I have Aetna, Blues and Unicare, GR Plat. and Assurant. I have yet to run them on this client (age 57, good H/W, good health).
Just wondering if I should even appoint with World?

World and Imerica are the cheapest

If those are your choices, go with the rated carrier.

In Austin, Great-West is the network.

GW is the preferred network everywhere.

Apparently Time inked a deal to add the GW network. I believe they now have 5 networks in GA and still aren't competitive.

Got a call from Time yesterday telling me about GW and that in some cases the rates are 20% less.

So . . . I went to my Time site and ran a rate on a $5700 One Deductible. The default is Coventry (PPO) and the rate was $636. Switching to GW raised the rate to $664.

That was Time, not World, but the pricing should be relative. The networks drive the rates.

I suggest you compare some World quotes with the other carriers you use and see if they are needed in your portfolio. My guess is no, but it may be different in your area.

Thanks Bob. I still owe you a steak and cabernet for all your help. Right now it would be a burger and a jug of Boones Farm.

Back