Young Will Stay Away

Common sensical stuff but quantifies those staying away
by percentage increase in premium:

Ages 18-40

10% increase in premium = 83% buy insurance (the rest pay penalty)

20% increase in premium = 65% buy insurance

30% increase in premium = 55% buy insurance

HOLTZ-EAKIN: Sharp shoppers scuttle Obamacare - Washington Times

The Democrat vision of everyone having health insurance is a pipe dream unless it is free. There is a percentage of the American population that would not sign up unless it were free. $100 per month is too much for them. They have to have their beer, drugs, big screen TV, cable, internet, and cell phone first.

Last edited:
The article misses the subsidies available through the exchange.
The majority of people will qualify for them. The people over the 400% of FPL without access to large group plan, will be our new uninsured class.

Three major factors here:

1) Price vs. cost (price will likely go down, drawing in more young. Cost is irrelevant, this is America, the gov't just prints more cash.)

Up to 26 is covered under parents (drawing in more young.)

2) The amount of people 18-40 who make >400%fpl and don't have employer sponsored health coverage is small, relatively speaking.

3) Age cutoff. If you think 39-40 is still "young", come spend a weekend with some 20-somethings. I may be skewed because of my own age, but I find it hard to group together people putting their kids through college with highschool seniors...

Overall, you will see a net increase in "young insureds", depending on how you define them.

3) Age cutoff. If you think 39-40 is still "young", come spend a weekend with some 20-somethings. I may be skewed because of my own age, but I find it hard to group together people putting their kids through college with highschool seniors...

I'd love to know how many 39-40 year olds are putting their kids through college or even high school AND have income higher than 400% of FPL.

First, you would have to actually believe the gov't numbers they spew out. Second, 20yr olds only own insurance now because their parents make them, it's a generational thing, and the parents don't want to be on the hook to pay catastrophic costs to keep their kid alive, that won't change under Ocare

Back