2006 complaint ratios

Although the numbers may be a good indication of how well the company is doing I would not place a lot of stock in the numbers themselves without more information. Some of that may be due to agents selling those products not communicating well with their prospects. In other words, not telling the prospect everything they need to know about what is and is not covered.

A more important bench mark of how well a company is doing would be to know the nature of the complaints they are receiving. A lot of prospects only hear what they want to hear and that usually consists of "how much does it cost". The details of a policy that the agent dutifully explained to them are not often remembered, especially when a claim is denied.

United American policies are not major med policies, but they don't cost a lot either. I am guessing that a lot of their complaints are because people assumed they were buying a poicy with more coverage because they weren't paying attention and then when a claim was denied or the policy didn't "pay enough" they filed a complaint. It may be a lot of "agent error" also as opposed to the company doing a substandard job.

Statistics and numbers can be used to come up with whatever results the person compiling them wants. For example, one out of three traffic accidents are caused by someone who has been drinking. Assuming that is true, then statistically the odds of getting in an accident are less if you are driving drunk than if you are driving sober. However, I would not recommend counting on that. :)

I understand what you are saying Frank. But the vast majority of UA policyholders I talk to are not happy about their UA policy and want out as quickly as possible.

Naturally, the uninsuarble amy be a good fit for UA.

The UA complaint ratio actually doesn't make sense. Especially when Mega's is over 5.0. The reason Mega's is over 5.0 is because most of the plans have limited benefits and it's natural to file a complaint when you hit a cap. So why aren't UA's numbers higher?

The UA complaint ratio actually doesn't make sense. Especially when Mega's is over 5.0. The reason Mega's is over 5.0 is because most of the plans have limited benefits and it's natural to file a complaint when you hit a cap. So why aren't UA's numbers higher?

Perhaps most of UA's policy holders use Vonage and could not call in.

many years ago i got suckered into farm and ranch healthcare who are located in Mckinley Tx. who sell this UA crap. the most successful manager there made over a mil a year. He reminded me of one of those hair slicked back $5000 suit tele-evangelical type people. you go out on a presentation with him and by the time he finished the people would be fighting over who was gonna sign the app first.
United American is a fine company,they are one of or were one of the largest players in the medicare supp market,but when your company gets shanghied by a bunch of "less than scrupulous" characters, you can just imagine what happens.

And by the way, credit where credit is due for Mega. '04 was 7.06%, '03 was 6.14% and this past year was 5.01%. That's a almost a 20% decrease in complaints in just two years time. At least it's heading in the right direction.

The United American numbers are a shocker - hard to believe!

Yeah, that was my first thought. Maybe their guys sell it with more ethics that most NASE reps and the people are aware they're buying a limited benefit policy.

Back