AARP monitoring lunch seminars

Very interesting! Obviously AARP is the enemy of the financial community and only out for AARP. This checklist would also be pretty useful as a fact finder to use in selling AARP products to the AARP volunteer. In my opinion the people who would most likely volunteer to do this would be people who are know-it-alls and haters of financial sales people so watch out. AARP will probably turn these into FINRA and/or the state insurance commission.

Last edited:
The people who would most likely volunteer to do this would be people who are know-it-alls and haters of financial sales people so watch out. AARP will probably turn these FINRA and/or the state insurance commission.

There are tons of retired folks (especially here in Florida) that have no where to go, and all day to get there...

Combined with a free lunch, and the chance to be home at 7PM for Wheel of Fortune, it sounds irresistible.

It should do damage to them.

You are so very right.

However, I think the whole concept of 'feeders' and 'platelickers' and now, AARP shills, is unethical as well. Really, who's to say who's lying or not? You could have an AARP shill in the audience who decides you're not wearing an American flag lapel pin, therefore you're automatically an islamofascist, and there goes your "survey". Just because someone writes it down, doesn't mean it's true!

There are tons of retired folks (especially here in Florida) that have no where to go, and all day to get there...

Combined with a free lunch, and the chance to be home at 7PM for Wheel of Fortune, it sounds irresistible.

There are other subtle but important dynamics going on. In many, many areas AARP is selling most of its MA's through website/telesales. It is in their interest to bust down the whole system of seminars, independent agents etc because if the only way you can get an MA or really hear about it is on the TV and in the mail and then you call a number, who benefits the most from that type of arrangement?

I would love to see someone do a survey of seniors who signed up for an MA over the phone with AARP. Call them and ask them about what they think they have for a plan and a couple basic questions about how the plan works, what the benefits are and what the teledork explained and disclosed to them.

They dont have a clue. They just "know" they were in safe hands with AARP because AARP said so. They work in tag teams. The ads on TV say that it is the best plan an then the person calls the number but the teledork never represents that it is the best so he is okay from compliance point of view.

Winter

Yeah, but if you look at the questionnaire they want the "spies" to fill out, it is much more than that:

Their sample from their site:

Free Gourmet Dinner

[FONT=Arial,Arial]Please join us for our free seminar
[/FONT]
Asset Protection for Today’s Uncertain World
[FONT=Arial,Arial]Avoid the​
[/FONT]
Costly Mistakes [FONT=Arial,Arial]that Cause Retirees to Lose their Financial Independence! [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Arial]Learn about Important Law Changes that Will [/FONT]Cost [FONT=Arial,Arial]you Money! Our speakers will inform you about recent changes in Federal and State laws. As usual, when the Government changes laws that apply to you they do [/FONT]NOT [FONT=Arial,Arial]personally notify you. You can rely on us to tell you what you haven’t been told. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Arial]Avoid the [/FONT]Biggest Financial Mistakes [FONT=Arial,Arial]seniors make! [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Arial]Get [/FONT]priceless [FONT=Arial,Arial]information that will [/FONT]Protect Your Financial Security[FONT=Arial,Arial]! [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Arial]Win [/FONT]FREE [FONT=Arial,Arial]prizes and enjoy an incredible dining experience including an open bar! [/FONT]
Lost

[FONT=Arial,Arial]money in the market? Learn what you can do about it! [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Arial]We are offering an informational workshop that covers what you must know about your retirement. [/FONT]NO[FONT=Arial,Arial], this is not another presentation by your local brokerage firm about investing. [/FONT]There will be nothing sold at this workshop.
[FONT=Arial,Arial]You and three guests are personally invited to attend this workshop exclusively designed for retirees. Spouses are urged to attend! Exclusively for SENIORS. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Arial]Eliminate taxes on Social Security, interest income, and capital gains! [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Arial]Avoid costly Probate Fees and Federal Estate Taxes! [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Arial]Earn Double or Triple Interest on CD’s with [/FONT]NO RISK [FONT=Arial,Arial]to your principal! [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Arial]Protect your nest egg from Stock Market [/FONT]LOSS [FONT=Arial,Arial]due to market volatility! [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Arial]Protect your assets without purchasing Long Tem Care Insurance! [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Arial]Gain Market Growth without [/FONT]RISK!
[FONT=Arial,Arial]Learn about Reverse Mortgages and how to increase your spendable income! [/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial,Arial]There is

[/FONT]
NO [FONT=Arial,Arial]cost or obligation[/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial,Arial]. [/FONT]
Reply now

[FONT=Arial,Arial]. Due to the enormous popularity of these presentations, seating is limited to the first forty callers. The last workshop was full. Our toll-free number 800 123 4567 is open 24-hours so you can make your reservation. [/FONT]It could change your life!!!!
[FONT=Arial,Arial]Presented by members of the Royal Society of Certified Senior Advisors [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Arial]Lawyers, brokers, CPAs or advisors may not attend as space is needed for seniors. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Arial]Although the seminar is providing valuable information for consumers, the seminar is a solicitation for insurance products. [/FONT]​

I must be a real oddball because I am doing terrific with AARP and recruiting agents that market statewide like I do. I have never had a bad experience with any of their plans. My wife has UHC and they have treated us well.

I have received direct deposits in as short as a week.

They shut down their learning center to put up a newly designed one. An email went out. Everyone needs to chill.

There is nothing to "watch out" about if you are doing the right thing for the client. Honest agents need not worry.

It depends. Medicare plans are mostly a regulatory issue with no dollars for bottomfeeding lawyers to make from complaints.

In the securities world, when the market crashes, you have TV ads going day and night saying that if you lost money in the market to call 1-800-ballbuster. Same thing with doctors. Even though you have crooked, incompetent doctors you have lawyers advertising day and night saying that if you have ever felt ill and were treated by a doctor in the last five years call us and we will sue the bejeesus out of them.

In any area where an attorney can bottomfeed, an honest professional is not safe. It is true that honesty and competence protects against much, but it is not enough. That is the reality of modern America.

Dont get me wrong. I am not suggesting that you need PPL.
:cool:
Winter

I haven't heard any complaints from the Seniors I have moved out of the market over the past 6 months.

Let's not forget that AARP was started by an insurance salesman for the purpose of, wait for it, selling insurance.

The Empire Called AARP Under its nonprofit halo, the American Association of Retired Persons is a feared lobbyist and an even more awesome marketer. - October 1, 1988

AARP and the Obama campaign are about neck-in-neck in the hypocrisy department.

AARP is the MASTER at screwing over seniors while making 50% of them believe they are actually looking out for them.

How have they kept 20/20 and Dateline from exposing them? Only 60-minutes showed them for what they really are and that was many years ago. They have a LOT of lawyers and clout with the media.

Back