Advice Needed

By "name carrier" does that exclude carrier like Penn Mutual who operate under an agency name? I am in a similar position and my friends keep thinking going with a big name carrier like Pru or NYL would be better because of the name rather than XYZ Group.
It's not the name recognition. It's the structure you're looking for. Penn could be a viable option. It really depends on the management in your area for each agency.

Hey guys thank you for all the good advice. I have a lot of thinking to do. This forum rocks! Thanks again.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I have a few more noob questions. I've been reading as mush as I can here and see that IMO's or GA's are an option for me. Are there any IMO's that provide complete support to noobs? From what I've read it seems like GA's micromanage so I'd assume they provide complete support. What are the pros and cons of each for someone that wants to be an independent agent? What are fair commissions?(I need support, not leads) When writing business through these organizations, who's book of business is growing? What goes on with residuals? Does the client see the IMO/GA name on any paperwork? I'm in NY so how much does that slim down my options for IMO/GA's? Off topic, does anyone sell insurance strictly over the phone? (Out of state). Thanks in advance for all input.
^Bump^ for some answers

Last edited:
Hey guys thank you for all the good advice. I have a lot of thinking to do. This forum rocks! Thanks again.
I have a few more noob questions. I've been reading as mush as I can here and see that IMO's or GA's are an option for me. Are there any IMO's that provide complete support to noobs? From what I've read it seems like GA's micromanage so I'd assume they provide complete support. What are the pros and cons of each for someone that wants to be an independent agent? What are fair commissions?(I need support, not leads) When writing business through these organizations, who's book of business is growing? What goes on with residuals? Does the client see the IMO/GA name on any paperwork? I'm in NY so how much does that slim down my options for IMO/GA's? Off topic, does anyone sell insurance strictly over the phone? (Out of state). Thanks in advance for all input.
^Bump^ for some answers

What in hell is all that?:goofy:

I know, I threw a bunch of questions out there. If anyone can help me out I'd appreciate it.

I hope you read the forum rules.

Change your avatar, no copying allowed

Ok I'm kidding.

There is lots of info on here.

I thought long islanders rooted for the enemy

As much as I hate the Islanders I gotta give it to them. They are playing great against Pens.

Back