Am I a Jerk for This?

How many barbers, accountants, doctors, dentist,plumbers,painters or gardners do you have in your b.o.b. that can you fairly "trade" unearned business with?

Put yourself in the other person's shoes...If they have 10 insurance agents doing business with them, how can they possibly do business with all of them?:1baffled:

I do try to "do business with those that do business with me" but I never make that the sole reason for trading with someone. I never quit doing business simply because they don't buy from me. The only exception would be if they are a rude jerk when refusing to talk with me. And, even then I don't throw it in their face... After all, they still have family and friends I want a shot at.

In this case, by going back to the guy and announcing your vindictiveness you really screwed the pooch. He bought from Primerica. That means the odds are his "agent" will be out of the business in less than 2 years. The policy will be ripe for replacement with a better product. Who's he gonna call? Not you.

I agree with the idea of doing business with those who do business with you. However, in my opinion burning bridges will not help your business or image in the community. I subscribe to the concept of soft following up until they buy, or die.

I'm sure it felt good to do that, but as a professional, you should have just quit going and left it at that.

I agree. That would have been the best course of action and the guy probably would have figured it out.

Back