Anyone Using iPad/Tablet To Replace Paper Day Planners?

When you talk about Outlook, do you mean the Outlook that is part of the Windows Office package? Out have seen the Outlook.com site and it is just a basic email from what I can see.

When you talk about Outlook, do you mean the Outlook that is part of the Windows Office package? Out have seen the Outlook.com site and it is just a basic email from what I can see.

I am referring to Exchange (Outlook.com) - this is much more than basic email. First off, Android & M$ don't play nice together out of the box. In order to sync Outlook (your desktop mail client) Contacts, Calendar, and Tasks with Android, you need either Exchange (Outlook online) or Google Docs-both paid services. There are alternate free solutions that involve 3rd party apps that I simply won't trust with confidential information.

Exchange (Outlook.om) allows you to easily set measures to be HIPAA compliant. It also allows you to remotely wipe the data on your phone should it become lost or stolen.

Most email services are not HIPAA compliant - this is the reason most companies won't take an app by email. Using MS Exchange (Outlook.com) solves this need.

I use tablets when I go out of office, but I have to take the insurance information and make it to work. I will spend about 3 hours on working a presentation or something on it. Insurance carriers are behind.

As for outlook:

Outlook with Microsoft is great. love it more than google, but I have to use google now. Outlook mail, is really horrible. I miss my old 'live' mailbox.

Everytime I try to log on, for personal mail, I get: Technical difficulties or something. Then when I want to write on my tablet, I have to click on profile to get PC look, and if you write a letter, it only allows a block then causes more headaches.

But, that is my experience.

This is the Outlook that is part of Microsoft Office, and not Outlook .com?

No - Outlook that is part of MS Office is just a mail client-it helps you manage & organize email from a mail service.

MS Exchange - this is the actual mail service. This is what I am referring to (sorry for the confusion):

Microsoft Exchange Online

I use tablets when I go out of office, but I have to take the insurance information and make it to work.

Very true, many tablets are not the full version of Windows 8. I have an i5 tablet, it runs and acts just like a normal computer. (you need an intel chip)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Another nice feature of MS Exchange is you can use your own domain name. Your email can be [email protected] - this gives a more professional appearance.

Last edited:
In regards to tablets, if it is running Windows, it needs to be full Windows 8 not the RT, or you cannot run Windows applications, is that correct?

In regards to tablets, if it is running Windows, it needs to be full Windows 8 not the RT, or you cannot run Windows applications, is that correct?

Everything I had on Win7 are now loaded and running on Win8 (even used compatibility mode for an old scanner that didn't support Win8)

RT is comparable to an iPad or Android tablet - good for email and browsing - there are many programs it won't run.

I live by my Android devices. Got an Android phone and tablet, and everything syncs, so it's nice to have updated information on tap whenever I need it. Any shared documents are uploaded to Google Drive, so I can access those when I need to as well. Haven't really found a need for remote access yet, but the option is there.

Sadly though, my company uses an antiquated email system (Lotus Notes) so full integration with mobile devices just isn't possible. It would be nice to have it all available on mobile, but if I'm going to use agency systems, I still have to carry a laptop.

I am wondering if any of my colleagues on the forum have switched from a Day Timer/Franklin/Day Runner type system (paper) to a tablet system?

Being an old 'pencil and paper' person, I am trying to evaluate going all electronic with tablet portability (I have iPad).

I see advantages to the all-inclusive capabilities and size of the wireless tablet for anything from CRM to Calendar/Task apps to running quotes and doing apps all on one device. It seems to be the ideal device to replace the old paper planner and add in the functionality of a computer.

If anyone is currently using a tablet for all of their scheduling and selling tasks or has replaced their day planner with a tablet, I'd be curious to know how you've integrated it to get away from a paper day planner and what specific apps you find most useful in terms of replicating the daily planner.

I don't use an iPad. I still use a papar planner called a "Planner Pad." It's a great one that you basically design for your own specific use (plannerpads.com) My CRM is VAMdb. I've never really been a big fan of Outlook, and I just need to have "paper."

Back