Are You Content Marketing? Maybe You Should

I put up a web site a little over 1 year ago using ITC. I like the site by the way, no complaints. I then hired a big name SEO company, paid them $1,500 and in return got rather basic advice that if I write a Blog post every week of at least 300 words, preferably close to 1,000, my site (shieldinsurancesolutions.com) will get on the first page of a google search.

Sure enough, after writing every week for 90 days my site was first page for some select long-tail searches. Did I get any business? 3 requests for a quote and 1 sale. My current site traffic is just under 1,500 new visitors per month. I still don't get much organic business. Maybe I am doing something wrong, but I am not willing to shovel out the bucks for advice anymore either.

The bottom line -blogging good content will improve your page search rankings, but may not get you much business. There must be more to capturing business than just traffic.

I slowed down my blogging considerably. It takes way more time than it was worth to me.

Blogging works, but your blog topic has to resonate with your target market. I am not in the Med Supp arena but in reading your post on Plan N, possibly the information is way too dense for a 65+ year old individual looking for a Med Supp? Definitely could be a conversion issue.

Blogging works, but your blog topic has to resonate with your target market. I am not in the Med Supp arena but in reading your post on Plan N, possibly the information is way too dense for a 65+ year old individual looking for a Med Supp? Definitely could be a conversion issue.

Thank you for your opinion. I appreciate your honesty and think there is some value in your constructive comment. Interesting choice of words though "Dense" :GEEK:

My thoughts on this actually open up a completely different topic: should we approach the T65 senior differently than the older, over 70 crowd? There was a generational change in technology in the late 90's and those turning 65 now were active and in their mid 40's --they had to adapt to the new technology and keep more mentally sharp than those just 10 years older. The T65 group is used to an entirely different level of "research".

While the article (and others) may be more detailed than some people would prefer to read, I have had multiple discussions (especially with the T65 seniors) where much more detail was requested on Medicare and plan coverage. In fact, this article was written in response to the in depth questions often asked of me.

Still, I understand where you are coming from. Maybe I am wrong, but there seems to be quite a gap in desire for information between the T65 and those already 74+. That gap is exaggerated when we also consider those with regular internet access and those without.

If I were writing for the over 70 group that has never had internet access, I would definitaly tone down the detail and stick to bullet points.

Thank you for your opinion. I appreciate your honesty and think there is some value in your constructive comment. Interesting choice of words though "Dense" :GEEK:

My thoughts on this actually open up a completely different topic: should we approach the T65 senior differently than the older, over 70 crowd? There was a generational change in technology in the late 90's and those turning 65 now were active and in their mid 40's --they had to adapt to the new technology and keep more mentally sharp than those just 10 years older. The T65 group is used to an entirely different level of "research".

While the article (and others) may be more detailed than some people would prefer to read, I have had multiple discussions (especially with the T65 seniors) where much more detail was requested on Medicare and plan coverage. In fact, this article was written in response to the in depth questions often asked of me.

Still, I understand where you are coming from. Maybe I am wrong, but there seems to be quite a gap in desire for information between the T65 and those already 74+. That gap is exaggerated when we also consider those with regular internet access and those without.

If I were writing for the over 70 group that has never had internet access, I would definitaly tone down the detail and stick to bullet points.

I dont think so, I just think that most prefer an easy read and a more warm open feel then a business wordy feel, The more complicated information feels the less they are interested

Not sure this applies to just the over 65, I feel like the general public on many issues sides with the easy sounding answers, Even when not true, Faster then
the true documents that might take a little work to read through

As sad as this is, I do think there is so much info to take in from every area of life that and easy read with no complication is much easier to gain intrest

----------

for instance even me if I am just browsing around and I come across something I am kind of interested in, If I open it up and find it is very wordy or takes to long to get to the point or the nuggets I am looking for I move on (unless I am really trying to search a thing out and there are not many resources)

But if it is broken up easy to read gets to the bullet points quickly and an easy read I might find myself going further and maybe signing up or buying something when I did not expect to

Does anyone have a good source for insurance specific content that can be used on my blog. I know original content is the best, and I have had success blogging every day for the past 7 months using articles written by a marketing professional for my use.. Any ideas would help.

There are no shortcuts, and no substitute for articles written by someone who actually knows the topic.

Back