Asking for a job

[QUOTE="Dexes, post: 1251758, member: 87307" What is the best approach to walking into an agent's office, talking to them and asking for a job?

I am an independent agent, and got into my current office, as well as the last office I was in, in the way I will explain below.

I called every independent agency within a distance I was comfortable commuting. For you of course it would be sf offices. Driving is one of the most high fatality, and expensive (car maintenance, depreciation, and gas) things that most people will do, so I hate commuting if I can avoid it. So, once I had a list of every office within the commute radius I was comfortable with, I cold called them and told them my situation. Once I started getting a list together of offices I was interested in, I started doing heavy homework on the owners. Calling for references, doing research online, insurance violations, Yelp! reviews, BBB, asking others in the industry, etc. There was one thing I should have done before I went to this office, which I suggest you or anyone else should do. All worked out very well for me, but I should have spent a day hanging out at the office before hanging my shingle there, seeing how things were run. Ethics, office politics, office morale, stress level, etc.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for your input, I'm definitely compiling my list. Since I'm working at this office Mon-Fri during business hours, my schedule conflicts with the office hours of others. I might calls, research and walk in offices until I'm in for success or my shoes wear out.

If you're pursuing a revenue-generating role (ie. sales), then your best way to ask for a job in our industry... is to walk in, introduce yourself with your resume (include your licensing info either on the resume, or attach a copy of your license), and ask to talk to the agent in charge of hiring. Have a conversation and don't be afraid to ask if they know of any other agents who may be hiring for a similar capacity. Ask for permission to use their name when you go see them.

Even if they're not actively looking, they may hire a "go-getter" who isn't afraid to ask for what they want - including asking for a referral.

Sales isn't (shouldn't be) a cost for an agency. It's a necessary expense to increase business... and it requires ambition. Showcase that ambition with skill while you're looking for what you want... and I bet someone might create a position for you.
My current offices hours conflict with other offices. I'm having consideration of leaving my current office due to the situation ( posted a few days ago about it). I'll make calls, knock on doors until it happens. Van Mueller ignited the fire. Your feedback is invaluable. Thank you.

So, you're gonna stay at that office and look for additional external training resources to help you do the job?

I never did ask, but are you P&C licensed and going to also be Life & Health licensed as well? What is going to be your focus?

So, you're gonna stay at that office and look for additional external training resources to help you do the job?

I never did ask, but are you P&C licensed and going to also be Life & Health licensed as well? What is going to be your focus?
I want to leave that office but I would prefer the income. I feel confident I could get hired quickly. I do have a concern as when I applied for my license the DOI wanted a business address. I need to research but I don't want any licensing issues. I also need to check if they mail it to me or it would go to the agents office.

About my goals: I will be P&C licensed and would look forward to life and health. Van Mueller really inspired me and I think Life&health is a fantastic area to work in.

I am an independent agent, and got into my current office, as well as the last office I was in, in the way I will explain below.

I called every independent agency within a distance I was comfortable commuting. For you of course it would be sf offices. Driving is one of the most high fatality, and expensive (car maintenance, depreciation, and gas) things that most people will do, so I hate commuting if I can avoid it. So, once I had a list of every office within the commute radius I was comfortable with, I cold called them and told them my situation. Once I started getting a list together of offices I was interested in, I started doing heavy homework on the owners. Calling for references, doing research online, insurance violations, Yelp! reviews, BBB, asking others in the industry, etc. There was one thing I should have done before I went to this office, which I suggest you or anyone else should do. All worked out very well for me, but I should have spent a day hanging out at the office before hanging my shingle there, seeing how things were run. Ethics, office politics, office morale, stress level, etc.

If you are looking at SF offices, then in almost every case you will be talking to the owner. Owners do a lot of evening and weekend work, so you should be able to make the meeting happen. Yes it will be extra work for both of you, but most agency owners will be impressed with your proactiveness and will work with you.

One big point, whatever you do, don't badmouth your last office. Not to your interview prospect, or anyone else. This is extremely important.

Thanks for your input, I'm definitely compiling my list. Since I'm working at this office Mon-Fri during business hours, my schedule conflicts with the office hours of others. I might calls, research and walk in offices until I'm in for success or my shoes wear out.

If you are looking at SF offices, then in almost every case you will be talking to the owner. Owners do a lot of evening and weekend work, so you should be able to make the meeting happen. Yes it will be extra work for both of you, but most agency owners will be impressed with your proactiveness and will work with you.

One big point, whatever you do, don't badmouth your last office. Not to your interview prospect, or anyone else. This is extremely important.[/QUOTE]

Very good point. I have been with this office for like a week, and since the first day I've been crawling out of my skin by the things I've seen. I figure I will be asked " why are you leaving this office so soon?" ", "what makes you want to come to my office, leaving another so quickly?". I wouldnt want to bring up the horrible management, unethical things etc. The owner even told me its okay to be shady and manipulate the premium costs by adding discounts, reporting false mileage, etc. She said it is okay because other offices do much worse and we need the business.

About my goals: I will be P&C licensed and would look forward to life and health. Van Mueller really inspired me and I think Life&health is a fantastic area to work in.

This is an area where you get to be more creative (within State Farm's compliance though). You create life and annuity sales through your own advanced understanding of these contracts and the tax-code, etc... as opposed to competing for P&C sales.

P&C is often a mandatory policy and most people will see it as a price-sensitive purchase. Your challenge is to introduce it as a QUALITY sensitive purchase... because you represent 'Godzilla'. :)

Take the training from State Farm and your agent (whomever it is). Over time, you figure out what's working and what isn't. My "Guidance for New Life Agents" (a "sticky" thread at the top of this forum) may be a helpful resource for you as you continue to learn.

Don't wait. Take action now. We ALL know how backed-up the CA DOI can be. No reason to wait. Just say that you've passed your exam.

Back