Asking for a job

Very good point. I have been with this office for like a week, and since the first day I've been crawling out of my skin by the things I've seen. I figure I will be asked " why are you leaving this office so soon?" ", "what makes you want to come to my office, leaving another so quickly?". I wouldnt want to bring up the horrible management, unethical things etc. The owner even told me its okay to be shady and manipulate the premium costs by adding discounts, reporting false mileage, etc. She said it is okay because other offices do much worse and we need the business.

There are tactful ways to answer these questions, and unless the person interviewing you is a complete *** (in which case you don't want the job anyhow) then they will be able to read between the lines.

"The underwriting is very different than what I was trained on" "There is a lot of confusion (or gaps) and lack of clarity on what discounts the person qualifies for, and what they are given" "I am being asked to do a lot of things I am very uncomfortable with" "I am quickly finding that the culture in this office doesn't match with how I would like to conduct myself" "I like to be very honest and direct with people and I have having trouble doing so in this office"

Those are several examples.

There is another point I want to bring up too. I am an independent P&C agent, and I went independent so I could do things that I couldn't when I was captive. In nearly every scenario, I can run circles around the captive guys. Their claims handling isn't any better, really the only advantage they have is that they have TV commercials, so there is some perceived advantages there through marketing. By far I see more shady shenanigans, bs underwriting, improper coverages from the captive agents than the independents. At least on the commercial end, which is what I do, it's the only way they can even attempt to compete with me.

Eventually, just like most of us, you will probably end up going indi when you learn the bizz.

Don't wait. Take action now. We ALL know how backed-up the CA DOI can be. No reason to wait. Just say that you've passed your exam.

This might sound sort of ridiculous.. is it worth listing this current agency as my employment of say a week? I have my alias thru SF and it would of course be discussed

They saying goes that "It's easier to find a job when you already have a job" would seem to hold true. It says that someone already sees value in you. Your problem is in how they seem to be conducting themselves and how they quote business.

Btw, your concerns of proper conduct and quoting reminded me of another thread. I think this was it:
https://insurance-forums.com/community/threads/competing-against-dishonest-agents.88651/

Always keep selling; never try to "prove people wrong" - just show concern for them when you're competing for business. It's far better to be 10% or 20% more expensive than to be denied a claim for something that could've been covered because the policy wasn't put together correctly.

They saying goes that "It's easier to find a job when you already have a job" would seem to hold true. It says that someone already sees value in you. Your problem is in how they seem to be conducting themselves and how they quote business.

Btw, your concerns of proper conduct and quoting reminded me of another thread. I think this was it:
https://insurance-forums.com/community/threads/competing-against-dishonest-agents.88651/

Always keep selling; never try to "prove people wrong" - just show concern for them when you're competing for business. It's far better to be 10% or 20% more expensive than to be denied a claim for something that could've been covered because the policy wasn't put together correctly.
I agree with that. My office currently they don't have any appointments or anything and have writing like 25-30 a month. She said she needs to do at least 50 to make a profit and said I will fix that for her. She said "we" need to lie about the mileage people drive and manipulate with discounts that should not be added because we need the business and other offices do much worse. It makes my skin crawl because a office recently went down in my area. Guilty by association?

I might double down on research. As of today I have scoped at offices and conducted a list. Since I work business hours, I feel if I triple down, make some calls I can make this happen. When I cold call I'll introduce myself, let them know I've passed the P&C exam and see from there. I don't think I will mention I've been at a office for like a week. I think I'm better off not getting into the current situation. I'd rather explain it in a vague professional manner, face-to-face.

Over-complication can be a step towards simplification. It's a trait that the more "engineering" minds in our business share. It's easy to over-complicate, but the talent lies in simplifying as best and as simplistic of a way as possible.

Ben Feldman was one of the best at that. I try to study all the greats and their communication style and try to adapt that kind of simplistic and magic of the words that they use.

Made the move, narrowed down my options. This weekend I'm meeting an agent of my choice for a coffee interview early morning. Guess I'll prepare some good questions to ask, get dressed up and hope for the best.

Reactions: DHK
Everything went well. Secured the position contingent upon me getting my life and health license and making some sales. I definitely knew what to look for this time around and they are writing some serious business. I'm stoked about getting my L&H license... will be an interesting process working full time.

Reactions: DHK
Back